Chapter 1: A Fallen Angel

Dean ran towards Sam, but to no avail. He saw his brother give into the floor before he was in his reach. He dropped to his knees and pulled Sam's torso in his hands and towards him, shaking him slightly.

"Sam! Sam! Don't, don't leave me Sammy. I got you, baby brother... Just hold on..." Dean stumbled to his feet and dragged his half-concious brother towards the door of the abandoned church.

As they got outside, the sky gave off the illusion that the stars where falling towards Earth. Sam's head bobbed up to focus on the sky.

"Dean," Sam coughed, "what's happening?"

Dean analyses the dark sky with burning streaks. "The angels," Dean started, "they're falling."

Sam looked up at the sky in awe, before his facial expression went hard, realising that most would not survive the fall and that means Heaven is shut. Dean looked only for a moment, before helping his brother into the back seat of the Impala to lay down. Once his brother was sprawled out across the back seats, the engine purred and they headed back towards the bunker.

~~~~

"Oh, god. What happened to you guys? Everything went crazy after you guys left!" Kevin hollered.

Dean looked over at the wall where the arrow was now shoved through the wood from when Kevin shot at them when they first came through the door. He helped his baby brother to the couch before escorting Kevin into the other room.

"Look, Kevin, the angels are falling," Dean stated, his hand resting on Kevin's shoulder, hoping he wouldn't raise his voice, considering that Sammy was trying to get some well deserved rest in the next room.

"What?" Kevin harshly whispered. "Where's Castiel?"

Dean looked at the floor and removed his hand from Kevin's shoulder, replacing it on the back of his own neck. "We aren't really sure. We haven't heard from him. I tried praying out to him, but he never reached out," Dean continued, "so I need you to stay here and watch Sammy while I go out to try to find Cas."

Kevin nodded and headed back to the main room, setting himself down at his desk and picking up a book. He looked back from the book and the tablet on the desk, not lifting his gaze as Dean made his way across the room, and upstairs to his room.

Dean quickly packed his bag with clothes before heading to the kitchen to pack a snack or two so he wouldn't have to stop so much for food. He waved to Kevin, then glanced over Sam's unconcious body on the couch. He smiled; that was probably the happiest he's ever seen Sammy in a long time. As in, back when he was dating Jess kind of long time.

He tossed his bag into the trunk of his Impala after rearranging a couple of the guns and blades, then slammed the trunk shut. Dean slid into the car and turned the keys. Before driving off, he threw his hands on the top of the sterring wheel in prayer and closed his eyes. 

Cas, if you're out there, just know I'm comin' for ya buddy. Just hang in there. You're family, and we Winchesters don't leave family. 

He readjusted himself in his seat, put a tape into the slot, and drove off, the darkness soon engulfing the car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Castiel slowly woke up, sitting up and placing his hand on the back of his head. He winced in pain as his fingers weaved through his hair, and as he glanced at them, he saw blood trickle down from his fingers.

Angels don't bleed. Angels don't feel pain. What's happening?

Castiel got up, and swayed when he was fully standing. He almost fell over, if he hadn't found the support of a nearby tree. He looked around; he was in a forest, it was dark, he could barely see 2 feet in front of him.

He made it to the street somehow, and began to wander down it, hoping in a direction that lead to a near civilization. Castiel's head was thrown into his hands as a wave of excruciating pain coursed through him.

Cas, if you're out there, just know I'm comin' for ya buddy. Just hang in there. You're family, and we Winchesters don't leave family. 

Castiel gasped for air once the message was done, and closed his eyes as he began to message his temples. Castiel continued to follow the road until he came across a brightly lit city. He stumbled into the first building he came across, which just so happened to be a church. He threw himself down in a pew and leaned foward onto his intertwined hands and fingers.

Father, what is happening? I know this is my fault. Please, forgive me. Please, direct me in the right direction, Father.

Even after his prayer was over, he stayed in this position until he had fallen asleep. Once sunlight peeked through the stained glass, Castiel peeked open his eyes. The stained glass just so happened to cast down the shape of one wing on each side of Castiel. At this sight, Castiel became more forlorn and left the church.

He pulled his coat closer to his chest and buried his hands in the pockets of his trench coat. He looked for some kind of stand with pamphlets or something to tell him where he was. Once he caught site of a map, he set off in whatever direction pointed towards the bunker where he knew the brothers and the prophet were stashed away in.

~~~ 

Night had fallen upon the road as Castiel followed along the side of the back road. Suddenly, out of the darkness, he saw a pair of headlights approaching. He still continued on his way, lazily kicking a pinecone on the ground. With each kick, more pieces of the pinecone fell off and the closer the car became.

He only looked up when he heard the screeching of brakes. He squinted, but still couldn't see past the glare of the headlights to the windshield. The front door of the car squealed open, and a dark figure exited the car.

"Cas?" the familiar voice cutting through the darkness.

Castiel took a step towards the figure. "Dean?" he asked in response.

Suddenly he was pulled into a warm embrace and the other man nuzzled his head comfortably against his neck.

"I'm so glad I found you. I thought you had died. Don't ever do that to me again, Cas," Dean's voice was broken and Cas could tell he was crying, mostly because of his voice, but also because of the tears contributing to the wetness of his blood-drenched collar.

Cas slowly hugged back, still finding human signs of affection a little unusual and awkward.

When Dean pulled back, he looked into Castiel's eyes, but had a hard time in the darkness that swallowed the air around them. His hands still on each of Castiel's shoulders, he smiled as a tear rolled down his cheek, though he'd never admit it. He moved his thumbs in gentle circle motions on Castiel's shoulder and choked through his tears, "Let's get you someplace safe, Cas."