4. Evanjaline Moon

Dinner was quiet, except for in my head. I've never had something more than opihi or oysters. It's actually really filling. But this, this pizza was amazing. I couldn't eat anymore after two slices. My stomach felt like it was going to explode.

After listening to Travis complain he was full after his third, we went back up stairs.

"Wait, mom?" Travis called from the second step.

"Yes, sweetie?"

"Can Evanjaline stay for the night? It's dark and she's new to the area so she's lost."

I didn't tell him that.

"Of course, stay as long as you'd like, Evanjaline." Jennifer answers.

I smiled at her. "Thank you."

"Will you be staying in Travis' room?"

I looked up at him and he nodded to her. He was very tall. I've never noticed before.

"Okay." Jennifer used a slightly teasing voice.

I caught him giving his mom a wide eyed look after she smiled and winked at him. He shook his head when we reached the stairs.

"Are you alright?" I ask him quietly.

"Uh, yeah. Mom just thinks that we're gonna hook up."

"Hook up?" Like, a fish on a line? Why would we do that? It'd be painful.

"Like, become boyfriend and girlfriend. No offense, you're very pretty," He turned on the top step to face me, looking down at me being as I'm a few steps behind. "Very pretty. But I only just met you and I recently got out of a bad relationship."

"Did you not love one another?"

"I loved her. I guess it just wasn't enough." He turned back around and, at the top of the spiral stair case, he pushed his room door open.

"What happened?" I ask.

He moved to sit at a small white desk and he flipped on a lamp.

"She cheated on me with my best friend. It went on for months while we were still together."

"Did you know all along?" I stood behind his right shoulder, staring at the back of his head. He kept his eyes out of my line of vision.

"I did, but I didn't want to believe it." He rested one of his arms on his desk top and he pulled in air to un-stuff his nose. I gently placed my hand on his shoulder, waiting for him to turn around. He didn't.

"She was a fool, Travis. She shouldn't have pushed away the person who loved her... but one day she'll realize that she lost the moon while counting the stars. And you'll be someone else's moon and you'll be happy again."

"You like the moon?"

"Yes." I smiled proudly.

"I like the sun. I'd like to be someone's sun. Not moon."

"Everyone wants to be someone else's sun. Would you like to know what I would be?" I asked, smiling softly.

"A moon?"

"Yes. So I could shine on the person I love, in their darkest hours."

He finally twisted in his chair and his eyes found mine. "You're very wise, you know that?"

"So I've been told." I touched his cheek and a smile pulled up the corners of his lips. "Now, on to a lighter topic, what-"

"Where are you from?" He cut me off.