Chapter 21

---Thorn's POV---

Ever had that odd feeling waking up, where you're unaware of your surroundings? Not awake but not asleep, floating on an uneven balance in between. That's how I felt at the moment; my mind too clouded and heavy to understand the concept of time and space, all it understood that I was, and that's it.

My own breathing sounded abnormally loud in my ears, the soft fabric that glided over my back sent an array of goosebumps over my skin. A sharp inhale made me aware of the soap that had been used to wash the sheets, a pleasant smell that soothed the mind.

Still...Even with all these new yet old sensations, my back was killing me. It felt as if a weight was pressing me down in the bed, centered between my shoulder blades.

I tried to roll my shoulders to alleviate the pain and tension, freezing as I heard the air swoosh around the room, a ticklish sensation moving around my shoulders. Groaning, I forced myself up on my elbows, half tempted to face-plant back into the soft pillows.

Taking a few steading breaths, I chanced a look over my shoulder, only to freeze in shock. A set of ink black and massive wings shuffled slightly, as if responding to my distress. The feathers gleamed in the dimmed light, a few of the softer down feathers fluttered around the room.

Oddly enough, small wisps and tendrils of darkness seemed to follow the feathers, making it seem as if the wings and feathers were alive...and breathing. My eyes flitted to one of the smaller feathers that had fallen to the bed before I gently picked it up.

Warmth still bloomed from the feather, the shadows caressing my fingers with a hint of curiosity before it seeped back into the feather. The wings on my back were made of the same strange matter, as if the shadows in the room were being sucked into the feathers.

It was slightly disturbing though, to know I had wings and I could actually feel them on my back, yet they seemed to move on their own command. I could feel them flex the slightest bit as I breathed, creating a slightly uneasy feeling of imbalance.

Slowly, I pushed myself up on trembling knees, the added weight of the wings not helping me at all. Just when I found my balance, my wings shivered and flapped once, creating a wave of air to circle through the room and push me face first into the bed.

"God damnit." I grumbled, my voice muffled into the pillows before I tried a different approach. This time I tossed my legs over the edge of the bed, sighing as my wings stretched out, as if attempting to push me down once again.

"Can I just get a break for once?" 

My words seemed to have some sort of effect on the wings, as they seemed to hesitate before slowly furling back together. I rubbed my face tiredly, wondering where the hell everyone was. Last I remembered, we were on Earth, where I had used my powers.

Yet, everything was blurry and seemed distant, as if I had watched it from a different perspective or only heard of the events that took place. Yet, I knew I had resurrected a child back to life, and condemned the people responsible for its death.

Shaking my head, I vaguely remembered the angels but couldn't recall what happened after I saved the child.

I think... I blacked out? 

Footsteps resounded through the hallway, pausing at my door before it creaked open. As I looked up, I sent a tired smile towards Bidziil as he hesitated in the doorway. Within seconds he was holding me in his arms, being mindful of my wings.

They seemed to react to his presence too; they shivered wildly, arching out and around as if returning his embrace. My cheeks flushed bright while Bidziil smiled warmly, a teasing glint in his eyes.