The Morning After

The late afternoon sunlight poured into the flat as if it were a messenger from heaven. I breathed in deeply and opened my eyes, staring at the white ceilin’ above me. I let my hands rest above my head. I smiled to myself as I looked at every flaw in the drywall and every crack in the ceilin’. I wasn’t an accessory here anymore. I belonged. The birds and the occasional car horn could be heard outside. If this was what serenity felt like, I never wanted it to end. I felt flushed and a little dehydrated. I turned my head toward the clock on the opposite side of Roger: 1:34 PM. “Oh my god…” I said under my breath as I took in the sight before me.  Roger looked so peaceful as he laid there sound asleep. His hair was everywhere and he was still in the exact position he had been in after we had sex the second time. Oh god the second time…as if the first time hadn’t been intense enough…the second time really did us in. Obviously, I’d never slept with him twice in one night…but I’d sure as hell do it again….every night if I could.

 I absolutely had to capture this moment. I was torn between my desire to lie there beside him and my desire to find a pen and sketch him. I turned the other way to glance over the floor to see if there was anythin’ lying there for me to put on. One of Roger’s t-shirts was in a wad near the curtain. I reached out to grab the edge of it. This would work for now. Oh, how it smelled exactly like him. I was so desperately aroused this afternoon that inhaling the scent as I pulled it over my head was enough to make me tremble. It hung on me in a wrinkled mess and I loved it. I very quietly got out of bed, hoping I wouldn’t dare disturb or wake Roger. Shit…I was weaker than I had thought as I stumbled slightly. The cooler air of his flat hit my bare legs making me wish I were back underneath the covers. My legs shook a little as I looked around. There was a pen near his telephone. I took his telephone directory off the floor near his kitchen table and ripped the back of it off.

 Though it was a less than proper position for me to be sitting in considering I had no pants; I had returned to the side of the bed and sat on the floor with my legs crossed. It wasn’t like Roger would care if he had seen me. I sighed. It seemed as if I were in love. Or maybe that was my out of control hormones. I watched him as I clicked my pen and began my sketch. “That’s your boyfriend right there.” My mind kept sayin’ to myself. I nearly giggled out loud at the thought, which was very much not like me.

  I ignored my inner conscious and it’s incessant babblin’ and worked on my sketch. I tilted my head a bit sideways and motioned my right hand in front of me. I mentally changed his position and altered my sketch accordingly. I worked feverishly with my pen just knowin’ that any minute he would wake from his sweet slumber. The passin' cars outside were such a comforting sound this mornin’…I mean… afternoon. I stopped for a moment and pushed my hair behind my ear as it kept fallin’ forward. I heard him take a deep breath and move slightly. Shit, I was right. I needed to work faster, I had only completed about half at this point. It was a good thing that I was fast when I sketched. He breathed again deeply and opened his eyes this time. Roger had his face toward me. I had been caught. He smiled…it was brighter than the sun itself.

 “What are you doin’ over there.” He asked, still smilin’ at me. I smiled back at him.

 “Nothin’…just…you looked so perfect and peaceful…I sketched ya’ real fast.”

 “Let me see.” He reached out a hand toward me. I laughed a little and handed it to him.

 “Sorry…I took the back of your phone directory.” He grinned even bigger.

  “This…this is really…I mean it looks just like me. You’re talented Lydia.” He handed my sketch back to me. Though it wasn’t complete, I scribbled “RMT” in the corner and 9/24 on the bottom. I sat it aside for safekeeping. He was still smilin’ at me. “You’re wearin’ my shirt.” He said. I laughed…god I was so damn giddy this afternoon.