Chapter 11

Chapter 11:

 Tears were pouring down my face, the wind whisteling in my ears. My hair had come undone a while ago, but I couldn't bring myself to tie it back.

 I swiped at my face angrily, trying to rid it of my traitorous tears. But they just kept coming. I looked up at the world around me, which had blurred into an indistinguishable mix of colours.

 Night's rhythmic gallopping was my anchor. It kept me vaguely sane.

 How could Aaron have done that. I knew I shouldn't trust him, and I knew he would probably do something stupid, but send the scientists right to us? That was way more than I'd expected from him.

 What if Mum and Dad couldn't deal with them? What would happen then? What if the scientists found something out about us? No. I musn't think negatively. But is this pessimistic thinking? Or merely being realistic. Hope for the best, be prepared for the worst. Dad said that often enough.

 “Night, let's go find Lupa.”

 Night whinnied and starting gallopping in the direction of the forest.

 My tears had stopped falling and I was calming down. Why had I run? Normally I would have stayed and confronted him. I left him and Alex to the wrath of their step-father. Was that right of me?

 Urgh, stop questioning everyhting Sam.

Lupa had had few words of comfort. Finally we both decided it would be best for me to go home, so I left again. And after Night had brought me home, and I'd brushed her well, and chatted to all the horses for a bit, I snuck inside, praying I wouldn't be heard.

 On my way up to my room, I passed the living room. Raised voices reached my ears.

 Now, it's not like me to eavesdrop, but raised voices was an unusual sound in this house.

 “We can't just stay here! People are getting suspicious!” Mum shouted.

 My dad shouted back, “Fine, but think about what it will do to the children, to leave. It would damage them, especially Sam. She's strong, but only because she's rooted herself here. If we uproot her like that... it would ruin her!”

 “And staying here would ruin possibly the whole race of shifters!” Mum argued.

 “Okay, let's do this slowly then, and step by step. I'll write a letter to the school. We can home-school the kids. Then we'll see what happens. Okay?”

 Mum sighed, and I took that as my cue to leave.

 No way we were moving! I couldn't leave everything behind.

The next morning I woke up before my alarm, a very bad crime in my opinion. The thing that had roused me was a small blue-tit at my window, tapping away at the glass creating an oddly interesting sound. Beak against glass.

 I jumped up and went over to open my window, letting the tiny bird fly in. I extended my hand and whistled for him to land there. He did and I smiled. Last time it took some convincing.

 “What do you want?” I asked him.

 The bird cocked his delicate head and stared at me through his small black eyes, then whistled in response, “I'm here because my friend said you could help me.”

 I though back. What bird had I helped. Hm, can't remember.

 “Who's your friend honey?”

 “He had love problems.”

 I couldn't help but laugh. I remember now. That was last summer, a blue-tit had had problems with his mate, and had asked me for some insight, as I was a girl too. He had happened to be there, and lessons had never managed to hold my attention for long.

 “Well, my girlfriend, she's sulking, and I don't know what it is I've done.”

 I laughed again. These birds. “Well, I don't know what you've done either, but she sounds like the sensitive type. Go to her and apologise. Just be honest. Say you're confused and need her to talk to you. It'll work, guaranteed.”

 “Thanks,” the bird whistled and flew off threw my open window.

 I frowned. When was the last time I'd had a conversation with a bird? Too long ago. Since before Alex and Aaron. At the thought of Aaron I felt anger bubbling up inside me, so before I smashed something, I quickly ran outside and to the stables.

 As I passed the breakfast table I heard unhappy chatter. Had my parents proposed their moving plan to the others? Without me there?

 Curiousity got the better of me, so instead of burning some steam outside, I went back inside and walked calmly into the kitchen.

 “Morning,” I greeted and took my usual seat, then grabbed some toast and poured some bakes beans onto it.

 Everybody was watching me.

 “What?” I asked, taking a bite of the little piece of heaven in front of me.

 “We're going to be home-schooled,” Susan said, looking a tad unhappy.

 I jumped up and fist-pumped, “Hell yeah!” When everyone frowned at me, I explained, “I've been hoping to be taken out of school since forever. I can't believe I finally got what I want.” A huge grin spread across my face. “Well, since I don't have to be anywhere by any specific time…” I grabbed my breakfast and skipped off.

 I heard someone ask about where I was going, but I didn't turn around or even shout an answer. I just skipped off, in my own world of bliss.

 Once outside with the horses, I let them all out, intending on going for a ride. They all needed some exercise anyway. With my soul somewhere over the moon, and my heart lighter than a feather, I hopped onto Night's back, all worries from last night long forgotten.

I spoke to the horses, telling them to follow us, and we all started running. My soul came back to earth and my very existence became a blur of colours and wind and the thrill that inevitably comes with speed. And somewhere along the way, I transformed myself into a horse, and ran along side my friends, the speed of my heart almost matching that of my hooves.

This was what it meant to be alive. This was what life was about. Feeling one with your surroundings, both living and non-living. And at the same moment that I lost sense of where I ended and the world started, I felt utterly complete.

And it was the most beautiful thing anyone could hope to experience.