Chapter 2

For making me my book-cover!

______________________________________

Chapter 2:

I woke up to birds singing. I was surprised to find myself in my cat form. My clothes, thanks goodness, weren't torn to shreds, but I was tangled up in them, and as a cat I had little chance of untangling myself from them.

I hate it when things like this happen. I should really get used to sleeping naked. I looked at the tangled mess around me, using the mind of a human in order to fully understand what it was I was seeing. After analysing the mess for a while, I slowly crawled out of my clothes. I jumped to the floor, landing lightly in my cat's pads. I could get used to this form. I went to the door and moaned when I saw it was closed.

I have a better idea. I would change into one of our horses. Maybe they'll think I brought one of them up here as a joke. I changed into my horse, which was, unlike my wolf, completely black, so if one didn't spend every moment of the day with Night, one could think I was her. I lifted a heavy hoof and stamped once.

I heard my parents running up the stairs, followed by all of my four siblings. They slammed the door open, took one look at me, took a brief look at the room, then my oldest brother, Jack, shouted down the stairs, “Not funny Sammy!”

I neighed, thinking it was funny.

They all looked at me again, and I chose that moment to turn into a dolphin.

They burst out laughing, but now I was getting a sick feeling, probably 'cause I was out of water, and anyway, I doubt the floor could take much more, so I turned into myself again.

I stood naked in front of my family. They looked at me, and just to annoy me, the youngest brother, second youngest in the family, who's also my twim, and is called Hunter, whistled. “Nice body Sam!”

I scowled at him and said, “That shouldn't be your concern, Hunter.”

Everyone laughed, except Hunter. Before he could get back at me, I pulled on a long t-shirt and some underwear, and said, “Breakfast?”

I walked out the door, and Hunter leaned towards me and said, “You can't sound serious or angry because of your dreamer's voice.”

That actually hurt, but instead I said, “You jealous?” You see, with three brothers who are rather rough, and will say what they please, and a sister who is the best at everything, you have to have some wit.

Jeffrey, the one in the middle, said “She got you again.” That made Hunter scowl.

I moved towards him and gave him a hug. I knew that he was constantly trying to prove himself in front of the others, but by doing so, he kind of made a fool of himself. If it weren't for the fact that I was a bit of a misfit as well, I would probably think him silly.

Susan, the second oldest, and only other girl, ran her fingers quickly through my hair and said, “You need to comb your hair, Samantha.”

She was the only one in the family, who called me by my full name. Okay, whenever someone was mad, they called me by my full name, but she insisted Sam be a boys' name.

“Su, I hate to say so, but I don't really care.”

“But I do,” she moaned. “What do you think it's like to constantly have to look at a birds' nest?”

I turned into a cat, jumped out of my clothes, and told her in cat, which she understood, that now she wouldn't have to look at a birds' nest.

Everyone laughed again, until my mum pointed out that I couldn't eat breakfast like that, so I went back to my clothes, shifted into a human, and put them on.