Chapter 8

Chapter 8:

“Anything's fine,” Alex told me.

“Here,” I answered handing both boys a plate each, some butter, the bread and some stuff to put on the bread. “Anything else?”

Aaron shook his head. I noticed that Alex had started staring off into space. He'd never day-dreamed before. I wonder what he was thinking of. It could be almost anything, really. I would probably be thinking about his step-father if I were him. Or the fact that his mother loved some crazy guy. Maybe I'd simply be thinking of the food in front of me, but then I'd be eating it, not staring at it.

I wonder how the horses are doing. I haven't ridden Night in a while. The last time was yesterday. I should ride her again. Maybe I'll bring the boys back on her. That would give her some really good exercise. But I should think about the other horses. I think I'll bring them all and push them at Night's pace. That way they'll all get lots of exercise. And I think I really need to push some of the other horses. They're getting fat. Just like certain family members.

“Hey, Sam. This some sort of party I wasn't invited to?” Susan asked.

“No. I'm only feeding them.”

“Why?”

“Quit asking questions please.” I replied.

Susan nodded and looked intently at Aaron, then at me, then at Alex and at me again. “What are you doing?” I asked.

She stopped looking at everyone and said, “Analysing the situation.”

“Sit down and have some bread,” I told her, even though I wasn't sitting either.

“You too,” Alex said.

“I should see if the horses are all right,” I mumbled to myself before leaving the kitchen.

I heard Aaron saying, “Here, have some,” to Susan. Then Susan's excuse of getting too fat. Just like the horses.

When I re-entered the kitchen everyone was having a good time. They'd been joined by Jeffrey who had his head thrown back in laughter. I cleared my throat and all attention was turned to me. “Um... I don't know about you guys, but I have school tomorrow and need to get you boys,” - I pointed at Alex and Aaron - “home.”

Alex nodded and got up, pulling Aaron along with him. “I'd forgotten about school. And Aaron has a science presentation tomorrow which he still wanted to practice for.”

Aaron nodded in agreement.

“Well, lets get you guys onto horses and back to your house.” I yawned.

“Su, don't let them go home. They can stay here for the night, if they want,” Jeffrey asked Susan.

“No, Jeff. Unless if they want to, then they're welcome to stay.”

“Why?” I asked skeptically.

“Because Aaron was just telling me some stuff you wouldn't understand anyway, and it would be lovely if we could finish out discussion.”

I raised my eyebrows at him.

“Sam, you know, science stuff.”

“Oh. You could have said that right away. Alex, Aaron, if you want to stay, you're welcome to, of course, but if not...”

“No, no. Then Aaron can finish explaining what ever it was he was explaining.”

I nodded at him, when something occurred to me. “What was so funny about that science stuff then.”