Chapter Eight: Hold Me

Aaron's POV:

___________

After my little sob-fest, I lean away from Iris and say, "I'm sorry about that."

And she simply replies:

"Don't be."

I smile to myself and think, My mate is special. I'm already in love with her.

"Thanks."

And then we sit there in comfortable silence for a while, before Iris states, "I'm really sorry about your mom, Aaron. I bet she was the best mother you could ever ask for." A stray tear falls down her cheek.

I cautiously wipe it away and reply, "She was. I miss her so bad, but everything happens for a reason." I sigh, and add, "I could just really use a hug, y'know?"

"Yeah," she croaks, "yeah, of course."

And we just hold each other for a few blessed minutes. And everything, if only for a moment, is alright.

___________________________

Iris's POV:

_________

I know it's kind of odd that we're hugging and we don't even know each other. But....

.....I just feel this connection.

It's like, if I were falling off of a cliff, Aaron would be the one to pull me up. Or he would jump in front if a bullet for me.

And I feel like I would do the same.

"Do you feel that?" I look down to see Aaron rubbing my arm, and amazing tingles are tickling me wherever he touches.

"Yes," I breathe.

"Good," he looks relieved. "Well, I talked to the Doc while you were in here. He said you could leave tomorrow."

"Wait," I say. "I'm going to have to stay here overnight? Here?"

"Yes."

I start to hyperventilate, thinking about what would happen to me if I got home. Aunt Gillian is going to kill me.

I calm down. "How am I going to pay for it?"

"Well," he says it like it's obvious, "I will, of course."

"But----"

"No," he stops me before I can protest. "I'm doing it. That's final."

I sigh and relent. "Fine. But I owe you."

"Okay," he wiggles his eyebrows, giving me a dirty look.

"Ew!" I laugh, slapping his arm. "Gross! I didn't mean it like that."

He fake-sobs. "Alas....my poor heart!"

I laugh harder.

It goes like that for a few hours, before it's light out. When the hallway bulbs flicker off, I turn to him and say, "You should go."

"No."

Shocked, I flick his shoulder. He winced. I reply:

"But you have to leave. Your mom and dad, they must be----"

I realize what I said, and correct myself. "Your dad must be worried. Besides, you can't stay here all night with me."

"I can and I will," he declares defiantly, sticking his upper lip out adorably. Wait....what? I did not just call him adorable.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask, looking at him through my long lashes. He nods and I continue, "Do you really like me? Or are you just trying to get in my pants?"

He laughs, long and hard. When he's done, he says, "Of course not, Iris. I lo---" he stops himself. "---like you."

I sigh in relief. "Okay. Just asking."

After that, he quickly falls asleep in the chair next to me. I happily lay in my bed, unaware of the nightmares that will soon follow.

___________________________