Chapter Ten: Rhapsody: Danny

Chapter Ten: Danny

I just gaped at her with my eyes wide and my mouth hanging open. What came out of my lips was a mix of a moan, a gasp, and something else…something kind of happy. Angeline’s face was very anxious – hopeful, almost, waiting to see what I would do. There were several things I wanted to do, all very destructive, but I just sat there.

Finally, Ang whispered, “I have an idea.” She grabbed the front of my shirt, pulled the covers over our heads, and wrapped her leg around my thigh. Kissing me fiercely, she breathed into my neck, “I’m sorry.”

I was so stunned and out of character that I agreed to her new, unwanted addiction, but I pried her fingers. “First tell me what happened to your arm.”

Angeline looked at her bandaged arm. “Dr. Blu shot me with something that knocked me out. Then he told me that I was pregnant – having a baby – and he got me again.”

“What about when you woke screaming?”

“I-I guess it wore off, whatever was in the needle. And my – my stomach hurt, too.”

“Oh,” I said dully. I rested my forehead on hers. “I’m not mad, Ang, just…” I was at a loss for words.

“Stunned,” she offered, smiling slightly.

“Yes. Stunned.” Then I let her try to peel my shirt off as I closed my eyes.

*

Meanwhile, on the other side of the one-way mirror, there sat three doctors, watching them.

“They’re doing it again,” muttered one doctor. “Shouldn’t they know better?”

“They are young, let them do what they want,” scolded a second, a woman.

“This is the problem that got them where they are!” growled a third doctor. “We need to stop them. Come on –”

“Leave them be.” The three all looked to a man sitting in the corner, staring intently through the mirror.

“But, Chris –” protested the first.

“No,” he snapped. “If we stop them, they’ll only do it more. If we don’t interfere and just give them advice on their dilemma, then they’ll get tired of it eventually.”

“Yes,” agreed the woman. “They’ll learn. And they have eternity, right? Have you seen their charts? They’re both immortal.”

“Then that’s just wonderful!” spat the first. “They can do it forever!”

“John,” Chris barked. He paused when the young woman giggled o the other side of the room. “We’ve agreed to leave them alone, but keep a close eye on them. Now, I’m going to get a coffee.”

Dr. Blu left the room.

The first doctor stared at the woman. “Great, Kim, encourage him! This is wrong for them! They’re still practically children!”

“Oh, and you didn’t feel the way they do when you were their age?” retorted Kim. “Leave them be.”

*

I blinked awake, feeling more rested than I had in a long time. Angeline’s presence was strong beside me, and her head rested on my bare chest. Her eyes closed, her breath even, she looked relaxed and normal. A gentle wave of calm washed over me, with a wind of gratitude that she was mine and she was safe.

I craned my neck to press my lips to the top of her head. A soft breath of a sigh drifted from her lips. Her eyes still closed, her porcelain hand snaked up my chest to my jaw. She lifted her face, her lids opening to those enigmatically green eyes, bright even in the dark of the room.