chapter five

The recess bell rang, stinging Alice's ears. She glanced at Sarah, whom gave her a thumbs up along with a big smile. Alice returned the kind gesture, then she turned to her teacher. "Well, you children can go to your damned recess now," she sighed, waving her hand towards these door.

         All of the children cheered, and ran out of the class room, nearly trampling one another. But Alice and Sarah were respectful enough to neatly put their school supplies in their desks, and walk out slowly. Then and. Wellsworth's called Alice's name, gesturing her to come to her desk. "I need to talk with you." Then she narrowed her eyes at Sarah. "Alone.

         Sarah glanced at Alice with worry. But Alice assured her everything would be ok, by smiling and doing one quick nod. She nodded back, then walked away, shitting the classroom door behind her. "Now," and. Wellsworth said. "Let me tell you something Alice. Mrs. Jackson told me that you are quite the trouble maker." She stroked her chin. "Heed my warning. If you cause any mischief in my classroom, I shall whip you until your back bleeds. Are we clear?"

         That faggot Mrs. Jackson is a liar, was what she wanted to say, but she didn't. Thankfully. Alice just nodded her head and answered. "Yes ma'am," she said quietly.

         Ms. Wellsworth sank into her chair, and grinned at Alice. "Now shoo," she said. "Go to recess."

Alice came out the door that led to the playground. Right when the autumn breeze filled her lungs, she let out a sigh of relief. The smell of the crisp fresh air again made her smile. She realized she hadn't been outside in almost two days, which was probably the reason she wasn't in the brightest mood. She scanned the area, looking at each swing and slide, each boy and girl. Alice stared at the low stone wall that demarcated the playground. Then she turned her head towards one of the swing sets, seeing Sarah sitting on her own while holding the chain of one in her hand, smiling at her.

         Alice approached the swing set, and with gratitude, took the swing her best friend had occupied for her. "Thank you Sarah," she said, sitting upon the swing. "I really appreciate it."

         "Your welcome," Sarah answered. "Nick almost got a hold of it, but I told him to screw off."

          Alice chuckled. "I bet he ran away, squealing like a little toddler," she said, pumping her legs in and out, making the swing begin to sway.

         Sarah laughed as well. "Agreed." The turned to look at the sun, simultaneously pumping her legs in and out, making the swing continue its peaceful glide. The saw a flock of crows fly over the field and land in one of the big planted Oak trees, cawing a sad song. Sarah turned back to Sarah, and smiled at her. "I'm so glad we met," she said. "Otherwise I would be so lonely here."

         Alice cocked her head towards Sarah, and smiled sweetly. "I'm glad we met too," she replied. Then together, they swung in silence, letting the autumn breeze tickle their skin.

         Suddenly, Alice spotted Nick storming up to her and Sarah. Both anger and worry swelled inside her. She was angry that Nick was coming but worried that he may have blamed her for some stupid reason, and she was about to be in major trouble. Alice cast a hateful glare at him as he was in punishing distance from Alice. "Hey freak, get off my swing," he said, giving her a fat face frown.

         "No," she spat. "I was on here first, and I will remain on here until I'm done. Now screw off."

         Nick stomped his foot, making the layer of fat on his legs jiggle. "Get off now, you stupid girl!" He screamed. Now drawing the other children's attention.

         Alice continued to swing. "There are other swings Nick," she said calmly, trying to control her anger. "So go sit your fat ass on them."