chapter two

Mrs. Jackson led Alice through the hall. Past classrooms, libraries and offices. Alice gazed at the wooden plank walls, polished to a shine with an oil based paint. Pictures of women standing in sunlit plains, treasuries gleaming with a golden glow, and apples sitting in china bowls. "I hope you enjoy it here Alice," Mrs. Jackson said. "I bet you shall make many friends."

           "Yes ma'am," Alice replied. "I hope everyone likes me."

          They came to the main entrance, where the sun beamed through the large round window. Maids went here and there, with their cleaning buckets, mops, brooms, and dusters. Two stair cases on the left and right in a curled angle reached to the floor, and children and maids walked up and down them. A chandelier decorated with crystal and chains of pearls was hung by a chain above Oak Vale's dwellers. At day, it was off, but at night, it gleamed like a treasury full of diamonds. Mrs. Jackson led Alice down the stair, and turned left, down towards where MRs. Jackson said was the lunch room.

         Alice peered into each room they passed. She saw the kitchen, smelling delicious foods that made her mouth water. They passed a pool, (which Alice was really excited about) more classrooms, the Records, and many more. This place is quite interesting, Alice thought to herself. Very beautiful. But soon her sadness took over once again. Now, instead of perky and curious, she was gloomy and morse. Two teens about the age of fifteen passed her. She looked at them, but they did't smile at her. They gave her the finger and walked on. Alice wasn't that offended. She just glared at them and followed Mrs. Jackson.

         Alice wondered again what would become of her. What friends she would make. She gazed behind her at the other end of the all, staring at all the children, maids and teachers, scattered about like ants on an ant hill. They passed another window, and Alice saw it was still raining. The droplets of cold water hammered the windows like waves crashing upon the shore. Thunder rolled and the wind howled. Alice loved storms. They always seemed to comfort her; at both night and day. When she slept, they were like a dark beautiful songs. They made her feel safe, and thankful for the household she was safely protected in. But things were different now. She was;t in her own house. Everything seemed unfamiliar, strange, new. The storm made her feel apprehensive.

         They finally arrived at the lunchroom. It was a tall, nearly empty room. The cafeteria was on the North side of the room. Lunch ladies handed children their food, and the children sat at the tables. Alice noticed they were sorted into groups. On the South side, the youngest children ate greedily, and others threw food at one another. It went on up to first grade, second grade, third grade, and on up. Alice was in fifth grade, so she searched for her table. She saw a good mix of girls and boys; each with their own unique her, eyes, and skin tone. Alice noticed a young little girl waving at her, like best friends after a long departure. Alice waved back shyly. The girl was about her age, with straight. silky blonde hair mid-back length. She wore a shady blue dress, with a bow on the back of her waist of the same color. The sleeves ended at her elbows, and she had an oval face, with bright blue eyes and a round nose. Her skin was pure cream, which Alice found really beautiful. "Who's that girl over there?" Alice asked, not pointing because she was polite.

         "Whom? Oh, that's Sarah Huntington. She's new, like you." Mrs. Jackson replied.

         "She is very pretty," Alice acknowledged.

         "Indeed she is," Mrs. Jackson said. "Would you like me to introduce you to her?"

         "Oh, yes please," Alice answered.

         "Verywell," said Mrs. Jackson.

         She led Alice to Sarah, whom was contently eating a BLT, mayonnaise dripping down her chin. Mrs. Jackson approached her, and cleared her throat. "Sarah," she began. "This is Alice, she's new here."