Giggling Dogs, Aristocratic Eels: Playing the G, D, A, and E Strings

Dear Reader,

Congratulations for your acceptance into the Crazy Animals Violin Conservatory! A place where dogs giggle, eels get angry--a place where goats drawl and alligators economize! Please bring your violin and your craziest violin/animal sounds to the orchestra, as well as a sense of humor.

Some things you will have to know before you start playing:

1. Your right hand and wrist should form an "S" like a slape (think Slytherin or Snape!)

2. Your elbow is condemned to immobility when playing a string. However, when moving up from one string to another, it is admitted the permission to move up a bit. Same goes for when moving down: the elbow will move down a bit. But when only on one string, it is crucial that you do not drop/raise the elbow.

3. That er...perceptible bone on your wrist is always facing upwards. In short, don't try to twist your wrist upside down, backward, or even downside up!

4. ALWAYS PRESS HARD. ALWAYS. ALWAYS. ALWAYS.

         ----> Tip: Watch Thomas Ehle's video (on the side) for more information on straight bowing.

As a violinist in the orchestral section, you will also be required to be able to giggle with dogs and behave aristocratically with the eels. Indeed, if you laugh with the dogs and behave nobly with the eels, we will have to kick you off the orchestra. Apologies.

How to Discern Giggling from Jesting, Dogs from Hounds, Aristocratic from Royal, Eels from Fish:

Part I: Giggling- The G String

The G String is the highest string on the violin, and it plays the lowest sound. Yes, we pride in knowing that our giggling dogs are natural altos!

Part II: Dogs-The D String

Our dogs get very grumpy when you confuse them with the Canines of the C String and the Fido of the F note. In order to attain the ability to make them giggle as the order goes in the conservatory, the D string must be played. The D String is the string one down from the G string, 2nd lowest of all open strings.

Part III: Aristocratic-The A String

The A string in the 2nd highest string in the violin. It is below the D string. Aristocratically speaking, the A string's sound is definitely my cup of tea.

Part IV: Eels-The E String

 Eek! Don't let out those eels yet! The eels make a high pitched sound and are let out during soprano parts of the orchestra. Otherwise, spare them and play the 4th string on the A string (we'll get to that later in lesson 17 of the orchestral lessons). The E string is the highest string on the violin, below the A string. Eels, being the nasty animals they are, should not be replaced unless under orders to do it or when playing a high note in the third position which cannot be attained on other strings. These special high-pitched notes will come in Chapter 49, but do not be deterred!

Good luck embarking your journey in the Crazy Animals Violin Conservatory! You will be pleased to know that the event starts on December 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM. In the mean time, keep your bows up in case you ever meet a Giggling Dog or Aristocratic Eel standing on your doorstep!

Sincerely,

CAVC (Crazy Animals Violin Conservatory)