Chapter #28

Chapter #28: People Change

***

"You see, what I don't understand is why you feel the need to eat all my Doritos, get a bad smell of Dorito breath then tell me you didn't eat them, and that they simply fell out the window."

"I told you I didn't eat them!" Evan yelled, letting his laughter get the best of him.

"I swear to God, I went down to the station to pee for like 2 minutes. How could you eat them all?"

"Exactly! Which proves that they did fall out the window because I can't eat chips in two minutes."

I crossed my arms sharply, eyeing Evan carefully as he pulled up into the 365 Hotel Venue. "Really now?"

"Yup," Evan put the car in park as he pulled out the keys and let his back rest on the drivers seat. "Positive."

"Positive? Then why is there an empty bag of Doritos on the ground?" I said triumphantly, pointing to the empty bag of my once, delicious bag of Doritos.

"Okay you got me..." Evan mumbled, opening the car door.

I burst out into laughter as I rolled my eyes and mimicked his actions, rounding to the back of the truck. Evan plopped the trunk open and pulled out his large Nike bag and I pulled out my tote bag. We slammed the trunk shut, and I lazily shoved my hair off my shoulder. My converse flopped around on my feet since the laces weren't even tied and the closer we got to the Hotel, the much more anticipated I became to see the hotel room.

I couldn't even explain the excitement I felt to finally be visiting my friends, but I also felt extremely anxious, resulting in me continuously fisting and unfisting my palms. We reached the front desk of the hotel and I propped my bag on the table, reaching for my wallet. Evan shook his hand, shoving it away, pulling out his own.

"You think I'm letting you pay for the entire stay here?" I snorted. "Idiot."

"Peyton, don't even go there," Evan chuckled, handing the lady multiple bills. "4 nights."

She gave as a key and within seconds, we were out and heading to the elevator to the 3rd floor, where our hotel room was located at. It was a quiet walk as we entered the good sized hotel room. There was a large bed, a small fridge and two couches. It was well sized and I let out a long needed groan. I threw my bag onto the floor next to the door and ran to the bed, letting myself fall onto my back.

The scars on body hurt or became a little senstive if they were to come into contact with something other than my own hands. The jeans I was wearing glided across my thighs as I plopped down and a rug burn sensation itched at them. I ignored the feeling of discomfort as I watched  Evan chug down a glass of water.

"An hour until the bell rings, you know." I spoke.

He nodded. "I really wanna meet this Melody chick you've been talking about."

"Should I be worried?" I bit my lip goofily as Evan came down next to me onto the bed.

We lay there side by side, admiring the nothing on the plain white ceiling. That's what make the ceiling so pretty. the simplicity. The plain white and black aroma of the hotel room made me feel less anxious. It was simply pretty.

"Of course not, you goof," Evan chuckled, poking my belly.

I laughed, rolling my eyes.

It felt like minutes had passed as Evan and I stayed laying on the bed, my head on his shoulder with his arm wrapped around me. I felt so warm and the entire time, my eyes were unconsciously watching the clock above tick from seconds to minutes and from minutes to and hour. My mind was not running with millions of questions or pros and cons of a situation and my head wasn't hurting like it had everyday. I was so relaxed that when Evan told me we had to go to my old school, I literally whined.

Like a dog.

"Peyton, we need to go now."

"Evaaaan," I mewled, holding tightly onto his hand.

He chuckled, finally dragging me out of the warmth of the bed. I groaned, and got up to the washroom to get myself looking at least somewhat presentable. I did my hair, washed my face and applied some foundation. Spraying a tiny bit of perfume, I lazily threw on some leggings and a floppy black t-shirt. Evan was shaving his stubble next to me and as I watched him through the mirror, I wondered about the future. Will we still be doing this in the future, getting read together, in the bathroom, in our future home? Will we have kids running around?

I knew I was thinking quite far ahead but I couldn't help but wonder. We finished up and shut the door before we walked to the car outside.

Lets just say that the ride to my old school was extremely nerve racking and as we pulled up to the parking lot, I recognized many faces. My stomach did a flip and I swallowed back the dry spit in my mouth.

"Ready?"

"Yeah... Yeah, I'm ready. Let's go," I said, trying to get over the fact that everyone would be looking at me in about 5 seconds.

"Peyton?"

"Is that Peyton?" a guy whispered.

"I thought she was dead," one girl snorted.

The wind blew my hair into my face and I brushed them back as Evan walked beside me. His low hanging skinny jeans made him look young and rebellious, along with his black football hoody. His dark hair was gelled up and his face was clear of stubble and super soft. Evan's eyes looked extremely green today- even though they were brown. They looked so intriguing. His hands were in his jean pockets and I mentally wished that they were holding mine.

It was like I spoke along because right then, he grabbed onto my left hand and held it tightly. The warmth radiated off of his palm, making my hand  feel warm and comfortable. Our fingers intertwined and a small smile played on my lips. I kept looking straight ahead, feeling weird that I was once again walking the path that I had walked on everyday last year. Everyone sitting on the benches looked at me, making it clearly obvious that they had no shame in looking at me.

Some girls waved, others just stared. Boys nodded awkwardly which resulted in Evan lifting his shoulders higher, frighteningly and threateningly. He looked around with the straight, cocky face that I had seen him 'wear' when I had first ran into him. If I was another girl looking at him, I would never think that his personality was a big softie and really cocky. The fact that I knew him best out of everyone here, made me happy. I walked up to the doors with a smile on my lips- a cocky one too.

Teachers stopped and talked to me awkwardly and Evan didn't let go of my hand once. The school was loud like it always had been because it was lunch hour. Everyone was in the halls, speaking about me and looking at me. Girls hugged me but I didn't think anything of it; I just wanted to get to the cafeteria and see my friends- specifically Daniel  and Melody.

"This school is hella ghetto," Evan snorted as we neared the doors of the cafeteria.

"And so is the word hella, idiot," I snorted back, looking up to him.

"It is not." he defended himself.

"Whatever. And this school isn't ghetto, Evan. It's just... normal. Well atleast it looks normal."

I finally pushed the cafeteria door open as I let go of Evan's hand, and I stood there, my eyes going crazy as I searched for my table. The table I had always sat at with all of my friends. Everyone noticed me but it was still loud. I heard my name multiple times and a loud, piutchy scream got me out of my daze.

"Peyton?" I heard all the way from across the cafeteria.

It was Melody.

Evan wrapped his arm lazily around my shoulder and I stood there, my arms loose by my sides and my heart skipped a beat- literally- when I saw Melody with all the cheerleaders. Her hair was freshly dyed, that same bleach blonde color. Her skirt was short and so was the neck of her t-shirt. Her boobs were everywhere.

And she was holding Daniel's hand.

***

A/N: Leave a comment :)
-Diana