Chapter #22

Chapter #22: I Hate You but What Would I Do Without You

***

"Yes, she's my girlfriend."

I felt the words repeat in my head a million times before my mind went completely blank and the nurses' loud voice drummed in my ears.

"Alright get in sir!" the nurse shoved me into the truck.

She slammed the doors shut and the sirens blasted in my ears as I felt my body jerk back at the fast movement of the van. I sat on the attached chair as my eyes burned. I watched her body bounce around on the stretcher as the Ambulance sped away, the sirens creating an annoying, blaring sound. Gently, I grasped onto Peyton's small hand and held tightly onto her. I could never let her go.

"Please Peyton," I pleaded, "You can't leave me."

Within minutes, the nurses were jumping from the Ambulance and they pushed the stretcher into the hospital in full speed. I ran behind them, trying to catch up but it was too hard to breathe. I felt sick and I pushed myself to keep running; at least make it to the hospital room. The nurse shouted for the main doctor and the other nurses hollered to get people to move out of the way. They pushed the white doors open and soon they closed in my face.

It felt so surreal. Those moments when you're watching a movie and this exact thing happens- someone pushing a person in a stretcher as everyone moves out of the way; screaming, shouting, hollering. People looking in horror at the broken person in the stretcher.

My eyes were blurry and I felt so disturbed- my mind couldn't comprehend anything that was going on.

I felt high.

Suddenly, the nurses slammed the doors in my face. I couldn't go in with them and I felt anger boil up in my blood. I stood there staring at the closed doors and my chest heaved up and down as I felt my breathing become tight. Out of anger and fear, my fist collided with the brick wall and I bellow out in pain.

"Fuck!" I shouted, running a hand through my messy hair.

"Please have a seat sir. We'll tell you her condition once they're done operating. As for now, do you know her parents?" the nurse asked me, holding the clipboard firmly in her hands.

"S-she doesn't have parents."

"Okay, do you know her guardians? Do you have any contact with them whatsoever?"

"No," I responded, "they work late shifts according to Peyton."

"Alright and are you of adult age?" she looked me in the eye.

"I'm 18," I responded, licking my dry lips.

"Alright thanks dear, please have a rest. You looked very stressed out," the nurse smiled before turning around and walking to the front desk.

I felt my eyes well up in tears and for the first time in many years, I let out a silent sob. I placed my elbows on my knees and dropped my face into my hands. I breathed swiftly, trying to get all the images out of my head. I tried getting out all of the negative thoughts from my mind but it just hurt too much. It hurt to even think.

I reached for my cellphone in my back pocket and dialed up for my best friend, Ty. After a few rings, he picked up and all I needed was some best friend support.

"Yo man, what's up?"

"Hey bro. I'm at the hospital." I rubbed my forehead.

"Oh damn man, what's goin' on?" Ty asked.