Lost Cause

All Chapters are unedited. I am dyslexic so there will be mistakes.

_____________________________________________________________________________

I never thought I would ever hear my captors screaming in fear. For seven years they were perfectly calm. The only time their voices rose in excitement was when they crossed a new frontier in their discoveries. Frontiers meaning a new and appalling form of torture resulting in death us werewolf captives. Yet, for the first time, their voices was filled with anxiety and fear. The chaotic haste could be heard several floors below, right into the cells we were in. 

They were scared.

"Wipe the computers and grab the back up hard drives! Hurry! We don't have much time left!" An assistant screamed, their voice muffled through the walls. 

I wondered who was coming. Was it more hunters? Or maybe the government.There was so many groups that wanted a research facility of werewolves. The chance of it being a rescue mission was slim to none.  

I tried to lift my head up but couldn't. This morning's test had been really bad, one of the worst. Doctor Anderson had drain some fuild surrounding my brain trying to see how it would affect functioning. It felt like someone had place my head between a wall and forced a car to smash into it. For an hour I had convulsions. They watched and observed. No one helped. I shouldn't have been surprised though. After all seven years in captivity should have taught me otherwise. They had managed to amaze me with the new torture methods they classified as research.

If they were scared, maybe it was someone who could free me. I wanted to stand up to scream for help, but couldn't. All I could do was muster enough strength to lift my fingers  off the ground. 

"Kill the prisoners! Quick before they break through the walls. If they reached the cells then they will have more wolves to help them fight!" Yelled one of the researchers. The intruders breaking in were saviors. I felt hope fill my heart, a feeling that had died years ago. 

My cell door was pushed open, causing me to squint from the light that blasted into my room. It was Carl, one of the cruelest guards. He stood, his frame outlined in the light from the hallway. I was able to outwit all the others but him. He was the only one who found my breaking points and relished in destroying them each chance he got. The researchers called upon him frequently when they couldn't get the desired reaction from me. 

Sometimes it took Carl minutes other times hours. No matter how long, he left winning. Unlike the other guards, he liked using a whip. One laced with Silver. Each time he succeeded he would grab a knife and mark my arm, tallying off his victories. One hundred and ninety one times. For the first time it looked like he would kill me. He raised his gun and pointed it at me.

This was it. The end was finally here. Strange. For years I had wished for death. Now that it was here I didn't want it.

 I wanted the freedom that was breaking down the walls.

"Please, don't." I whispered, begging to live.

"Long shot cupcake!" He snickered cocking the gun.

I closed my eyes and thought of home. If I was going out, my last image would not be of Carl. No, it would be of a time when I was happy. When the world was untainted and when I had a life of promise. I thought of my mother and my sister. I thought of Max. 

Suddenly I heard a crash. Screams of terror mixed with snarling and gnashing. I opened up my eyes to see a massive black wolf ripping Carl's throat out.

The sight of such a strong powerful wolf left me stunned. For years I had only seen weak and skinny wolves, deteriorated due to incarceration. Here was one who could fight. He could protect me! I tried to rise to run and stand behind him but stumbled as my legs gave out. Crashing to the floor, I began to pass out.