Chapter 5

I hope you guys like this!! it's a bit shorter...but there is plenty of drama :D

Enjoy

xxx

*** *** ***

Elk does a double take when he sees me as I approach the car. He and Noah are leaning against it casually, Noah smoking a cigarette.

            “Little Miss Innocent, huh?” Noah laughs, checking me out. Noah has never even looked at me like I’m a female, let alone one worth checking out. I have to admit it feels good.

            The good feelings wear off immediately when I see Elk’s disapproving look. Something about the way he stares at me makes me feel like I shouldn’t be wearing this, like I should be ashamed or something.

            “It’s nothing,” I mumble, pulling down the skirt.

            “Half the guys on the football team were talking about you,” Noah laughs. “James didn’t believe it. We’ll have to send him a picture or something.” Noah chuckles, but I can’t get my mind off Elk. He doesn’t meet my eye.

            “Elk,” I say. “Drive me home?”

            He nods and we get into the car, waving goodbye to Noah.

            “So,” I say finally. The silence is killing me. Elk doesn’t respond; he sure is making this hard on me.

            “Elk, is something the matter?” I ask.

            He finally looks at me and his gaze is expressionless, I can’t read it at all. “I just…when you said you were crossing over to the Pops, I didn’t expect…this,” he said finally. Then, after a moment, “you certainly made an impression.”

            I try to act casual. “It’s no big deal, Elk. I’m still me, just in slightly different clothes, you know?”

            Elk nods his head. “Did you talk to anyone? Simon or Dylan or somebody?”

            I laugh. “I met this guy, uh, Dean. We didn’t exactly talk, though.” The words just come out and I didn’t mean them to at all. No one was supposed to know about Dean’s aggressiveness besides Dean and me. And Simon. Simon Loughlin. Even his name sounds sexy.

            Elk glances at me, lowering the music. “What do you mean?”

            Oh God. Now I’d have to explain my embarrassing rendezvous to Elk. He was going to think I was such an idiot.

            “You won’t believe it,” I try to laugh. “He thought I was new. Like, really new. As in today was my first day. Anyway, he got sort of forward but it all turned out OK because-“

            “What do you mean ‘forward?’” Elk asked quietly. He didn’t seem angry or anything, just concerned.

            I sigh, blushing a little. “It was just very embarrassing. He didn’t know I was-well, me. And he tried to kiss me, but Simon came and reminded him that his girlfriend was looking for him. Can you believe it, he’s dating Jasmine Veto and he was hitting on me!” I laugh a little.  “It was humiliating. But, Simon was really nice and he invited me to his lunch table, which, I admit, wasn’t that great, but it’s a start you know?”

            I wait for James to say something, but he doesn’t. We sit in silence for a few minutes and just when I’m about to change the subject, Elk clears his throat.