Smothering

Over the course of the next few weeks, Terrell threw himself into the role of leadership. The Phantoms' network both expanded and yet remained tightly knit with carefully selected members. Home base grew even more crowded and soon it was never silent.

To Terrell's frustration, the size also changed something about the behavior of the guys toward him. They became more protective, almost in a smothering way.

Wherever Terrell went, someone was with him. Whatever he did, someone always wanted to know what and why. It didn't sit well with him, and pretty soon he began to give those that followed him the slip. This didn't help as the Phantoms worked all the harder to keep him within their view.

"If you continue like this, I'm quitting," Terrell threw out.

"Then we'll all quit with you and form a new crew," Ethan told him casually.

The constant threat and act of stepping down as leader was no longer taken seriously. The thought made Terrell scowl.

"We're not a crew," he muttered.

"Come on." Noah slung an arm around his shoulder. His hair was now a pure black. "With the Phantom's fame, they're all just worried about their leader." He winked over at Ethan who raised his eyebrows. "Besides." Noah shot Terrell a look out of the corner of his eyes. "You're known for getting into trouble when you're roaming out there alone."

"Trouble only comes when a group of you try to tail me and end up looking more suspicious than anything," Terrell informed him.

"Right." Ethan commented. "Like the brawl you got involved in yesterday."

Terrell shrugged.

"Or the race you mistakenly crashed," Troy added graciously as he looked up from a holo-game he was playing with several others.

"Don't forget about the argument you got in with the restaurant owner this morning." Kimble was playing the game with Troy.

Terrell eyed her. The girl had diverged from her flirtatious advances, seeming to accept the fact that Terrell wasn't interested.

"He wanted to charge me an arm and a leg for one glass of strawberry milk," Terrell informed her. "Strawberry milk!"

"Exactly." Kimble didn't even look up.

Ethan nodded in agreement.

"There's also the massive debt he's accumulated from all those boarders," a guy called helpfully from where he lounged on the couch with several others.

"That includes me," Troy threw in. He turned to give Terrell solid stare. "I believe the interest has gone up even further."

"Alright. Geeze." Terrell pinched the bridge of his nose. "What is this? Seriously?"

The teens shot looks in his direction and silence settled.

Terrell threw an arm out. "Anyone else got anything else to say about me not being able to take care of myself?"

Looks were exchanged.

"Huh." Terrell nodded, a triumphant smile coming to his face. "See. I'm perfectly able to–"

The room exploded with voices as all around teens began to list out the different trouble they believed Terrell had caused.

Noah, who still had an arm around his shoulder, pulled him closer. "Don't you feel loved?" he yelled over the noise.

"Far from it!" Terrell replied. He ran a hand through his hair. "How would you feel about leading a bunch of goons?" he asked.

"Not a chance." There wasn't even a moment of hesitation in Noah's reply. "Besides, if you get that face scared," he tapped a finger on Terrell's cheek, "We'll lose the chance to gain more female members."