Chapter Twenty-Two

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing but Vanessa Edwards/Catgirl and Hallucination...

~-~-~-~-~-~

A week or so passed, and my Fear Attacks were getting fewer and farther between. I was beginning to realize that maybe Scarecrow didn't create a Fear Gas that lasted forever, or maybe he didn't realize that he failed. The good news from that was that I was beginning to heal from the trauma of my abduction. So when I came home from school, on Halloween, I was in a pretty good mood. Then I saw Selena talking on the phone.

"She's not in the right state of mind to do this," Selena stated on the phone, and I stopped doing my Math homework (quadratics). "Look, do you want to talk to her yourself? She'll say no. Okay, fine." Selena handed me the phone, and with an eyebrow raised, I put it to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Catgirl. How are you holding up?" the voice asked me.

"Who is this?" I immediately asked.

"Batman." Fantastic.

"What do you want?"

"The head of the Juvenile Delinquent Center contacted me. Hallucination wants to speak with you." I almost passed out then, and memories of the abduction came crashing back to me.

"Wha-why does he want to talk to me?" I managed, my mouth dry.

"We don't know. All he's saying is that you're the only person that he can talk to. Go to the Gotham Juvenile Delinquent Center tonight, cell 27 B." With that, Batman hung up, and I leaned back and rested my head on the back of the couch.

"You don't have to go," Selena stated, crossing her arms.

"I know. But I have to see what he wants. If I don't go, then when he gets out, he'll come after me again." With that said, I got up and walked to the bathroom. Turning on the shower, I undressed and stepped into the tub, my mind still whirling from Batman's news. This was definitely not 'asterous', as Dick would say. Wait, why was I using his stupid phrases? I thought back to that day in the courtyard, when he leaned closer to me. Was he trying to kiss me? I really didn't need him to like me, because I was already in a relationship with Robin. As I went to shut off the water, I realized that the handle was gone. And the drain was gone as well. To top all that off, I could not move my feet, and the water was quickly rising. My ankles...my knees...another Fear Attack. I quickly shut my eyes and bit down on my hand to keep from screaming. A few minutes passed, and my eyes opened to reveal the small droplets of blood on my hand. The handle and the drain were back, and I hurriedly turned off the water. How long would it take for me to go completely insane?

~-~-~-~

Soon, I was jumping from rooftop to rooftop in the direction of Juvy. This was the last place that I wanted to be, but I had to confront Hallucination. Pausing for a moment, I looked down and saw a little girl dressed as a princess, walking with her parents and laughing. Lucky girl. I continued, and Gotham Juvenile Delinquent Center was soon in sight. As I approached the gates, the guards stopped and placed their hands on their gun holster.

"Um, I'm here to see an inmate," I stated, a sick feeling suddenly sweeping over me.