Chapter Fifteen

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing except Nessie. ;)

~-~-~-~-~-~

I honestly could live in the bathrooms at Wayne Manor. They were that nice. I changed into a dark purple T-shirt with black skinny jeans and my Converse and stared at the nice marble countertops and chrome sink faucets. Then I noticed the scars on my arms. They were pretty obvious, even if you were looking at my arms from a distance. I didn't cut myself or anything like that, but people had cut me before, mostly abusive foster parents and creeps on the street. People would probably assume that I did cut myself, and I didn't need that kind of attention. Digging through my bag, I found a long-sleeved black shirt and put it on under my purple T-shirt. Would I have to start hiding my scars every time I was away from Selena's apartment? Sighing, I picked up my school bag and headed down the hall. As I passed Dick's room, the door was still open, but nobody was in it. I went downstairs and had no trouble finding Wally and Dick, who had already changed out of his uniform, for they were arguing in the massive kitchen. They instantly stopped when they saw me, and the room grew silent.

"Um, where can I set this?" I awkwardly asked, motioning to my school bag.

"I'll take it, Mistress Vanessa." Alfred appeared behind me and almost gave me a heart attack. I gave it to him, and he walked off with it. I looked back over to Wally and Dick and saw that Wally was done with his sandwich and was now working on devouring an apple.

"You know, I've always liked the name 'Vanessa'. It reminds me of-" Wally started, only to be interrupted by Dick.

"What is it this time, Wally? Sunshine? Flowers?" Dick stated, crossing his arms.

"Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of a rainbow." Dick smacked Wally in the back of the head. "Ow, dude!"

"C'mon Nessie. Let's go to the library," Dick said, grabbing my arm and dragging me past the stairs and into another hallway. Wally followed as well, still eating the apple.

"Nessie? Like the Loch Ness-" Wally began. Suddenly, the song 'California Gurls' by Katy Perry started playing. Wally pulled out a phone from his pocket and hit the answer button.

"Hey! Oh, I see. KF time? Gotcha. I'll be there in a flash. No pun intended." Wally hung up with a smile on his face. "Dude, I gotta go. Uncle Barry wants me to help with..." He stopped, glancing over at me before continuing to talk. "Some, um, painting. Catch ya later!" And with that, Wally jogged out. I heard Alfred telling him goodbye from the other room.

"C'mon." Dick led me to a door, then opened it. Inside, the floor shone and there was a window that reached to the ceiling. Sunlight flooded in and revealed shelves and shelves of books lining the walls.

"This is probably more than all the books I've seen in my entire life," I breathed. There had to be over 1,000 books just in that room, let alone the entire mansion. Dick smirked at my reaction.

"So, I thought that we could find an idea for the play here," he explained.

"It'd be hard to NOT find an idea here," I stated. We began scanning the shelves, Dick taking the left side of the room and I the right. The room was silent until Dick broke the silence.