Chapter Thirteen

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing but my version of Catgirl...

~-~-~-~-~-~

October. When most people thought about the 10th month of the year, their instant thought was Halloween. Not with me. With my abnormal childhood, I never grew up with the holiday. Instead, I focused on my birthday: October 18th. Every year, it was a relief for me to get a year older. My ultimate goal had been to reach 18, and get out of the foster system. So when people began buzzing about Halloween, I didn't care or take part in any of their excitement. Like I've always done, I counted down the days until I turned 14.

~-~-~-~

"Giant plants are appearing all around the world, from Paris to right here in Gotham City. No one knows who or what is causing them, but Poison Ivy is reported to have broken out of Arkham Asylum a few days ago. Could it be her that is making all of these plants appear? We now go to..." My Biology teacher loved to watch the news for the first fifteen minutes of each class, this morning being no different. But as Artemis and I watched the news, my stomach was in a knot. Poison Ivy was definitely behind this, and I had caused her break-out.

"Vanessa. Snap out of it." Artemis snapped her fingers in front of my face to get my attention.

"W-what?" I stuttered.

"You okay? You don't look too good."

"Yeah, I'm fine." Another lie.

~-~-~-~

Having completed my math and literacy homework, I sat in front of the TV in Selena's living room. Selena was busy making chicken noodle soup from a can in the kitchen. The news was on, showing the giant plants around the world, the Justice League fighting them.

"Selena? Is Poison Ivy doing this? Is this why she wanted you to break her out?" I called into the kitchen.

"Ivy and a few others, yeah," she replied nonchalantly.

"What few others?" Suddenly, the TV changed to static, then the Joker appeared on the screen. Immediately, a chill went down my spine. He tapped on the camera lens before speaking.

"Ladies and gentlemen. We interrupt your regularly scheduled mayhem to bring you this..." He pulled out a switchblade and with a flick of his wrist, it opened, a blade shooting out. "...important announcement." Joker then moved the camera to face six people, one of them I recognized as Poison Ivy. "From the INjustice league," Joker cackled. The camera zoomed in to one guy in particular. Selena was suddenly right beside me on the worn couch.

"Count Vertigo," Selena muttered under her breath.

"We are responsible for the attacks on your cities. If you wish to save them, a ransom of 10 billion American dollars is required. Delivery instructions have been sent to the United Nations," Count Vertigo stated in a thick eastern European accent. "There is no time limit, but the longer your governments wait..." Joker moved the camera back to his smiling face.

"The more we get to have our...jollies. AHAHAHAHAHA!" Joker laughed before the screen went back to static. Selena and I sat there for a few moments in silence. I abruptly got up and headed to my room, a sick feeling to my stomach. This was all my fault. Why had I agreed to become Catwoman's accomplice? I couldn't keep doing this, or else I would be in the back of a cop car heading for Juvie in no time.

~-~-~-~-~-~

This is basically a filler chapter. I'm probably not going to post another chapter until next week is over, because I have finals. (yay! -_-)

But I'll try to post a lot when I'm on my 2-week break. c:

Almost 600 reads...I'm a happy person...

Vote, comment, and follow please!

~~The Bat has left the room~~