Chapter 18 - Just Call Me Rapunzel

“Do you think she's dead?”

“Seriously, why would she be dead? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.”

“Well, if she smelled those pancakes you made, she would surely be dead.”

“Oh my heck, man, those were not even bad. They tasted delicious.”

“Only to you, man, only to you.”

My eyes blink open to see a bit of a blurred view of Jace and Kasen staring at me. I stretch and yawn, rubbing my eyes viciously.

“Ugh, what do you guys want?” I yawn, sitting up. This is not how I imagined waking up on a Saturday morning.

“It's not normal for people to sleep for twelve straight hours, especially after I had to pick them up after they fell asleep at their friend's house,” Jace says factually. “Are you awake now? Or should I go get a bucket of cold water?”

“I. Will. Kill. You,” I say through my teeth. Kasen busts up and slaps Jace in the arm.

“You really think angering her is going to help us?”

“Help you with what?”

“We are going on a field trip!” Jace announces happily. “And you are coming with us.”

“No, no I'm not,” I shake my head, remembering what Hadley and I are going to do tonight.

“Um, yes you are,” Jace says stubbornly.

“Um, no I'm not,” I shake my head.

“Why not?”

“I have plans with Hadley,” I say.

“You can hang out with her another time,” Kasen says. “We are going to a basketball game in San Francisco.”

“Ugh, I don't want to go,” I say.

“Too bad,” Jace says. “Get up, eat something, and let's get going. I want to spend all day there.”

“Why do I have to go if I don't want to?” I groan.

“Because I don't want you here by yourself,” Jace states.

“How about I go to Hadley's again?”

“Nope.”

“Jace, please? I really do not care for basketball and you know that. Please just let me spend my Saturday doing something that I actually want.”

“Well, I mean, if she's at her friend's house, it couldn't hurt, man,” Kasen says to Jace. “We could have a little brother day. Not to sound gay or anything,” he smirks. Jace gives him a disgusted look and turns back to me.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, please, I would love that more than anything.”

“Fine, I guess it wouldn't hurt,” he pouts. “Go get your crap and get ready to go because I am going to drop you off at her house in about thirty minutes.”

“Deal,” I nod, running to get my stuff. I gather everything in my purse and I throw on my best shoes. I also dress in my favorite outfit. It's sad that I feel like I must dress to impress. I hope Jace doesn't notice.

I am ready to go right when Jace calls time and I run down the stairs to jump in the car with him and Kasen. I really hope that Hadley is okay with this. I have prepared myself to see Jake and I am so ready.

“Is your phone charged in case you need to contact me?” Jace wonders.

“Yes.”

“Do you have your pepper spray with you in your purse?”