Chapter 17 - I'm Acting Like a Desperate Drama Queen

By the end of the week, I'm acting like a desperate drama queen. I would pretty much give anything to hear his voice, but Jace has been following me around like a dog, making it impossible to find him. Even Casey finally contacted me and I'm still acting insanely desperate. She's really no helping; it seems like she's making it worse.

"Let's go do something tonight," Jace suggests as he drives us home from school.

"No, thanks," I say plainly.

"Please?"

"No, I just want to go to bed," I say, making a face. "I'm tired."

"You've been tired all week," Jace pouts. "Look, I realize you're upset, but maybe going out would get your mind off of it."

"I'm good, really," I say. "You can go without me."

"You sure?" he asks. The truth is that I've been formulating a plan to go see Jake all day but I don't know how I'm going to do it. If Jace is gone, it would make it so much easier. I just need to hear his voice.

"I'm sure," I say, but he doesn't seem convinced in any way.

"Nah, I'll just stay with you," he says, smiling at me genuinely. Dang it all.

"I was actually going to go to Hadley's house," I say. Thinking of the breakup reminded me of Calvin, which made me remember that I'd never even gone to her house.

"Oh, well, okay," he shrugs. "I can drop you off on my way to Elisa Hunt's party."

"Crashing another party again?"

"You know it."

"Fine," I say. "When will you go?"

"Probably around six," he says.

"Sounds good," I say. He doesn't respond, so we drive home the rest of the way in silence. He pulls in the driveway and we get out of the car, strolling into the house. From there we head our separate ways until dinner.

I try texting Jake some more but as it's been for the last week, he doesn't respond, which makes me even more desperate.

"Jake? Please talk to me."

"Jake, I need to talk to you."

"Jake, I need you."

What he did was wrong, but I can't help but think of all the good times we had together. He was my best friend and once again, Cody seemed to mess it up.

Just like everything else.

"Sam, ready to go?" Jace calls from the bottom of the stairs. I jump and look at the clock. I was so busy moping over what had happened that I didn't even notice the time. So much for dinner...

"Yes, I'm coming," I call. I slip a pair of red sneakers on and I run out with my phone in hand. He starts walking as soon as I come out and we head out to the car, which is still lonely in the garage.

"If you're done at Hadley's, just call me, okay?" Jace says. "I'll come get you."

"Jace, I can walk."

"I don't want you to walk," he says stubbornly.

"What if I do anyway?"

"Sam," he says sternly. "Don't."

"Why not?"

"Do you really want Calvin or someone else to use you again?"

"No, but-"

"Then you'll call me," he interrupts. I let out a really loud groan and sigh.

"Fine," I growl.

"Good girl," he says, starting the car. He drives the short distance to Hadley's house and as soon as he pulls up, I am out of the car.