Chapter 8

Here is the next chapter! Enjoy! 

_________________________________________________________________________

I avoided being alone with Christoph. I kept finding reasons why Christine would have to join us. I could tell Christine was getting suspicious, but she didn’t ask. Christoph was beginning to get irritated and I avoided meeting his eyes. The last thing I needed was things to get worse than they were. I would have to come clean to Ian. It was the only way.

It came to the day that Ian was returning and I was sitting on the terrace with Christine. She was quiet as she sipped her tea and we both looked through wedding plans. “I can’t take it anymore.” She finally said, slamming the binder on the table, tea splashing over onto the saucer. I cocked an eyebrow at her.

“That wasn’t very princess-like of you.” I commented. She frowned at me.

“What is wrong with you? Why have you been acting so strange lately?” I was taken aback.

“What are you talking about?” I finally managed, not able to look up at her.

Christine watched me for a moment, a frown set on her lips before realization finally appeared in her eyes. “Something happened with Christoph. Didn’t it?” She asked me slowly. I was frozen. Christine shook her head. “Just tell me Lana. Keeping your mouth shut is just going to make this worse.”

“We didn’t have sex or anything, if that’s what you’re thinking.” I said quietly.

“But you two did something.” She pushed when I didn’t continue. I nodded. “Just tell me Lana.”

I sighed. “We kissed, a few times. I stopped it though. He’s persistent, but I found that if I’m not alone with him it’ll be okay.”

“Lana. You have to tell Ian.”

“I know.”

“Oh, so, you were going to?” She asked, crossing her arms. I looked up at her angrily.

“Yes.” I snapped. “Do you know how ashamed and guilty I feel? I don’t even expect him to forgive me. I’m expecting him to throw me out and close me out of his life without a second glance. Don’t think that I won’t do it just because I’m scared. This will haunt me forever.” Christine looked appalled and I felt my eyes water. I really was terrified. I let my head fall into my hands. What if he never wanted to see me again?

I felt Christine’s arms go around my shoulders as she embraced me. I hadn’t even heard her stand up. “It’s okay Lana. Ian loves you. I’m sure everything will work out.”

“I hope so,” was all I could say.

“Sorry to interrupt you, but you told me to tell you when they’d returned and…” It was Anna, one of the younger servants in the palace. I smiled at her and nodded. Christine gave me another reassuring glance and we both headed inside.

I saw Ian and Genevieve both standing together by the stairs, Ian not looking at her and watching his feet. “Hi,” I said. Genevieve’s eyes glided over to mine. The smirk that formed on her lips answered my question. Arianna had been right. Ian looked up at me, and I saw the smile reach his eyes. I was sure my expression reflected his. I don’t think two people had ever been so happy to see each other. Ian didn’t say anything, but made a bee-line right to me and I was pulled into the most possessing kiss Ian had ever given me.

When he finally pulled back, he pressed his forehead against mine and gazed into my eyes. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too.” I said, and froze when I heard another voice behind me.