Chapter 22

“Does this dress make me look fat?”  Lena stared at Jenna through her reflection in the dressing room mirror.

“You’re joking right?  You are super skinny.”  Jenna looked at Lena in a bright red halter dress.  It looked like silk and barely came to her knees.  “Don’t you think that’s a little short?  The girls in the movies always wear those long gowns.”  Lena stepped back into the dressing room as Jenna looked at her own tripled reflection in a turquoise colored gown.

“That’s prom.  Prom is formal, homecoming is flirty.  Haven’t you ever been to a Homecoming dance before?”  Lena shouted over the dressing room partition. 

“I have gone to Homecoming dances before but I went to an all girls boarding school.  We didn’t buy fancy dresses.  It was tradition to go to the local second hand stores and wear the most tacky outfits we could find.  Most girls act totally different when they aren’t constantly trying to get a guy’s attention.  Or fighting over it for that matter.”  Jenna played with piling her hair on top of her head.  Trying to create the whole effect with the dress.  “Granted there are bitchy, vindictive girls everywhere, but for the most part if you take out the boys most of these bullshit problems go away.

“Around here we call those girls “Kelly’s.”  Lena yelled over the partition laughing at her own joke.  Lena stepped back out with big, puffy, short black dress with gawdy gold sparkles on it.

Jenna’s jaw dropped, “That is totally hideous.  The dress is totally something we would have worn for Homecoming at my old school.”  She laughed at loud.

Lena looked at herself in the mirror.  “It totally is hideous.”  Lena looked over at Jenna.  “That dress is so hot on you.  We should make hair appointments for the morning of the dance before we leave.  I can’t use a curling iron to save my life.”

“That’s a great idea.  It takes me forever to just braid my hair.”  Jenna’s phone started ringing and she went into the dressing stall to get to it in her bag.  “Hello.”

Lena was straining to eavesdrop on Jenna’s conversation. Jax had texted her earlier while she was changing dresses in the stall.  He told her that Jenna was going to the dance with Killer, which Lena obviously already found out the second they pulled out of Jax’s driveway.  He also texted that he wanted Lena to find out if there was a chance for Ben with Jenna.  He told her that as Ben’s best friends they needed to get them together.  So here she was now trying to eavesdrop on Jenna, a girl who was quickly becoming her best and only girlfriend. 

“Oh okay.  Yeah that sounds okay.  You can pick me up around 6:30.  I’ll meet you at the end of the block.  Yep okay.  See ya later.”  Jenna finished her conversation.  Lena noticed that she sounded bored the whole time. 

“Who was that?”  Lena smiled trying not to sound like she had an agenda.  Lena wasn’t familiar with girl code, she had always been one of the guys.

Luckily one of the things Jenna liked most about Lena was her straightforwardness.  “Killer, he wants to go out tonight.  My grandmother is a little weird about guys so I didn’t want him to pick me up at her house.”  Jenna shrugged.  She was now wearing a pink one shoulder dress.

“She won’t catch on to the fact that you just get picked up at the end of the block?”  Lena didn’t know too much about Jenna and her grandmother’s relationship but the little bit that she did know of it was odd.

“She really doesn’t think too much about anything I do that she doesn’t see.  If she doesn’t see it then she can pretend it doesn’t exist.  But if I put it in her line of fire she’ll crucify me.”  Jenna always sounded defeated when she talked about her family.  It made Lena sad to think about someone not having a supportive family.