Chapter 20: Under the Sink(edited)

I guess it really didn't dawn on me what I had just asked him until he starting asking me questions about the dance. Oh God. What did I just do?

“Riley?” he caressed my cheeked and pulled me into another kiss. I wanted to tell him that I had to think about this but the kissing was overpowering my judgment. No wonder the women in movies act so stupid after they kiss a guy, it's because they don't know what to do with themselves. I never thought kissing could feel like this—I mean he'd kissed me before, but never like this.

Was it weird to never want to breathe again just so we could stay like this forever? What am I thinking? Of course it is. Luc is my boss. I should have never let this happen. Although, he was the one to kiss me first—both times.

The back door creaked open, but I still found myself attached to Luc's lips.

“Ugh, get a room! Wait a minute, isn't she like fifteen?” Jace shouted from the doorway. “Where is my Captain Crunch Luc?”

Luc broke the kiss off and scowled at his brother, “look under the sink. Now leave!”

“Why would they be under the sink?” Jace asked. I thought the same thing, but didn't comment. It's best not to ask.

“Leave!” Luc shouted.

Jace turned and walked back into the house. Luc and I were just staring at each other. The full weight of what was happen was finally reaching my brain and telling me 'danger'. It's never good to mix business with pleasure, but what if you really want to and your hormones are going crazy.

“W-what just happened?” I asked.

“We kissed. Are you okay?” he cocked his head to the side and smirked at me. I hated his smile. He was rubbing in how hot he was. His hair was ruffled, a few bead of sweat coated his forehead and he was wearing pajamas, but he still had this strange pull about him. I couldn't deny it anymore. Ever since he took off the mask I knew I've been attracted to him—weirdness and all. “So when is the dance?”

“Dance?” I had lost my train of thought for a second then I said, “you don't have to come if you don't want to. It's just a high school dance anyways. I just got caught in the moment.”

“I don't mind,” he shrugged, “besides I can't wait to show you my mad cabbage patch skills,” he wiggled his eyebrows. It was corny, but cute at the same time. Wait, did I just say Luc was cute?

“I'm a horrible dancer” I chuckled nervously.

“Are you trying to talk me out of going with you?”

“No, no,” I lied. “I just don't want to embarrass you.

“Really?” he raise and eyebrow. “Embarrass me? I'm the weird one, remember? I use to walk around in animal masks. Your interview consisted of me asking you if you were an alien. I wear pajamas everywhere.”

“Okay, okay, so I don't want you to embarrass me,” I chuckled. “I don't think I know how to handle this.”

“Handle what?” he shrugged.

“This,” I pointed between him and myself. “We just kissed and you're my boss. I am your employee. This is against some kind of ethical code, isn't it?”

“Are you eighteen?”

“Yeah.”

“Then no,” he smirked. “I'm not asking you to be my girlfriend or anything Riley, but I can't say that I don't have some sort of feelings for you. Your the serious to my quirky, the peaches to my cream.”

“Okay.”

“The stars to my space, the sane to my insanity.”

“Okay, I get it.”

“The Bonnie to my Clyde, the rooster to my—”

“Say one more and I'll slap you,” I raised my hand. He smiled at that. I couldn't help but smile back, something I sometimes couldn't help when I am around Luc. Then I remembered those pictures under his bed all of a sudden. I wanted to know what they meant. Why was that man's face burned? It was obvious that it was purposeful. In every photo it was only his face that was burned.

“Luc,” I hesitated.

“Yeah.”

“I-uh, um, what were those pictures under your bed?”

“You went under my bed?” he looked at me with anything but joy in his eyes. “What did you see?” he glared at me. “Dammit Riley, who told you to snoop in my stuff?”

“I-I didn't, I just...”

“Just what, thought you'd dig up some dirt on me?” he stood up and brushed the dirt off the back of his pajamas. “Those things were private,” he paced back and forth.

“It wasn't like that. I just saw them. I wasn't trying to snoop,” I lied. I knew I was a horrible liar and Luc would never believe me, but I had to try and get him to understand that I didn't do it to hurt him. I was curious about him. I wanted to know why he was the way he was.

“Don't ever go in my things again,” he said dryly with a trance-like look on his face. I'd never seen him like this. I wondered what was it about those picture that would make him want to bury them under his bed, but still keep them.

“I'm sorry,” I croaked. This was making me upset. I've never seen Luc so serious. As far as I was concerned Luc didn't know the definition of serious.

“Sorry isn't good enough!” he snapped. “How could you do this?!”

“I-I,” I couldn't finish my sentence. I was already sobbing. I try to conceal my tears, but it was no use. The damage was taking it's toll.

“Riley,” Luc voice softened. “I'm sorry. I just didn't want to go down that road again. Countless years of therapy has taught me to let things go. I was a very angry person for a long time Riley. Please understand that I can't go there right now, but I promise that one day I will tell you.

“I nodded,” a knot was still forming in my throat so I couldn't speak, but I understood.

“Come on,” he held his hand out for me, “I'll cook you some dinner. You like Captain Crunch right?”

I took his hand and we walked into the house where we had the hardy dinner of Captain Crunch and Kool-Aid.

*

*

“Jace,” Luc scolded, “What the hell are you doing?”

“What?” he shrugged, “You act like you've never eating breakfast in your underwear.”

“Riley is here. Have you forgotten?”

“I thought her name was Rimie?” he scratched his head like he lost a train of thought, got it back, but then lost it again.

“Your an idiot,” Luc murmured.

“Your mama,” Jace countered.

“We have the same mother dumbass.”

“Oh, shut up.”

I just laughed and went back to eating. “You two are something.”

“Huh?” they both said in unison and looked at me.

“I just mean that you both have interesting personalities,” I replied. “Luc is quirky and Jace, you're laid-back, carefree.”

They didn't respond to that. They just stared at me. “Sometimes I just want to lock you up in my basement Riley,” Luc chuckled.

I, on the other hand, became very worried. It's funny how he chose those exact words.

“You too?” Jace said, “She just so cute and...and..."

“She's mine!”