30. It's all my fault

Cody's POV

Clubs are one of the places that we all usually actively try to avoid.

Too many people. Too many civilians who could potentially get hurt if something went wrong.

Beyond that, a drunk Devin is even less fun to deal with than the sober one.

I feel out of place as we walk into the club filled with sweaty and drunk people. Most of them are either crowded around on the dance floor grinding on each other, or they're around the bar getting drinks.

Couples are making out in practically every area that seems fitting to them, and it's nearly impossible to see through the mass of bodies.

"Lovely," Chase comments dryly as people push past us and around us.

Chase is in no mood to deal with them so when one guy drunkenly stumbles into him, he shoves him back full force into the crowd. Nearly toppling down half of them like dominoes.

Chase's shoulder nudges mine and he gestures with his eyes over to the corner, where a couple guys clearly don't know how to blend in. As I look around I begin to notice more and more of them, all watching us and all glaring.

But it's the girl sitting in a back booth that catches my attention. Only because her death glare is not only terrifying but a very welcome sight.

"I'm thinking half of these goons are here for us," I mutter to Chase and he nods.

"And the other half?"

"My guess? They're here to make sure she doesn't cause any problems." I reply pointing at Thirteen, who's still shooting lasers out of her eyes.

Chase visibly flinches under her gaze.

"They're blocking all the exits," Chase says as we begin to push our way through the sweaty mass of bodies towards Thirteen. "There's no way we're getting out of here without a firefight."

"I honestly didn't expect anything less."

Chase looks around discreetly as we walk, taking note of how many there are in here and where they're at.

I focus my attention on Thirteen. She's got some new bruises forming along her jawline and on her arms. Her stitches still seem to be intact which is a surprise in itself.

Her glare doesn't let up even as we come into view of Garrett...who has Elaine hanging off his arm, and even though they're clearly working together...

He looks less than amused that she's all over him.

Almost makes you feel bad.

Almost.

"You do realize how a hostage situation works right? You're not supposed to give in to the demands of the nut job terrorist who's favorite thing in the world is screwing people over and then killing them because it's fun and gives him a sick kind of pleasure." Thirteen spits out at us once we're in hearing range.

"Well hello to you too," Chase replies sarcastically. "I thank-you would be appreciated."

"I'm hurt you think so lowly of me," Garrett says dramatically to Thirteen, completely ignoring us.

"You'd be surprised just how lowly I think of you."

He laughs and it's not a nice sound. It's taunting and dark. His eyes hold a hidden anger and evil intentions.

"Search them for weapons," Garrett says over his shoulder and the two guys standing on either side of him and Elaine.

Both me and Chase share a look. I notice Thirteen roll her eyes and give us a look that clearly says, 'what? Did you think he wouldn't have you searched? Are you both that stupid?' I give her a glare and she glares back at me.