Chapter 7

Chapter Seven: Guilt

Let's fast forward a bit, shall we? Don't worry, you really didn't miss anything.

It was a week until Winter Break, and Evan had already started testing out his plan, it seemed to be working. He distanced himself a little farther from his friends, constantly reassuring himself that it was for the best.

He disappeared at random moments, ditched lunch every Wednesday and woke up extra early to walk to school alone. It was hard, but he was consistent, especially in using all his will power to not immediately answer all of the texts that constantly appeared on his phone from his friends. Because the less they knew, the better.

And oh, following him was becoming such a pain in the ass, that little fucker.

He was on his own now, well, mentally that is. Physically he still had his friends, who tried to stick to him like glue but were unsuccessful.

Every time they asked he insisted he was fine, saying he was tired and had places to be, family business he was needed for. They bought his excuses, but Evan knew that they knew he was lying. There are only so many ways to avoid people, looks like he found them all.

His excuses were lack luster, he knew he was running out of them. They lacked perfect execution and consistency, and so that alone raised one of the last final questions before he entered high school.

Do they really need him? Or can he just fade away like everything else? Either way, the clock was ticking, and he needed to make a decision.

And I really needed to get my hands on some popcorn.

-----------------

Meanwhile, Jonathan's life was awesome, he had his friends, his family, and good grades. Unlike Evan, everything was fine.

He ignored the first clique now, after Evan had given up on him, so he never noticed how Evan's spirit was breaking, how the spark was beginning to leave his eyes. Because he had better things to do than to pity over the loss of his ex-best friend.

Looking back, I think Jonathan's behavior was the one thing that was pushing me to keep doing what I was doing. Seeing just how happy he was without Evan, the constant joy he dragged along with him, it was like the thing they put in drugs to make it addicting, to keep you wanting more.

But on the fourth to last day of eighth grade, while he was cleaning out his locker, he did see Evan walk out the side entrance to the school. His feet were dragging, his head was down, hands shoved into his pockets and his backpack swayed with his movements.

Jonathan couldn't help it, he stopped what he was doing and watched as the broken boy walked out of the school.

And he would soon come to learn that that would be the last time he could've mended their friendship. Because that was the last day that Evan had planned to be his old self.

But all I did was watch from an empty classroom.

----------------------

The day was normal, sun was shining at seventy two degrees, birds were soaring through the cloudy blue sky, the trees were a beautiful bright green and Evan smiled.

It was a normal smile, unlike the ones he had been pulling lately, it was real. He figured he might as well enjoy his last day of middle school. And if not for him, then for his concerned friends.

They talked about their summer plans, which Evan had no desire to join them in, and what they wanted to do before the week was over. It was typical talk amongst friends. Evan was going to miss these moments.

But this was one high school adventure he needed to take alone.

Except, you know, I took it with him as his 'crazy' stalker.

--------------------

Tyler knew Evan was acting suspicious, with his sudden happy mood and ominous tone of voice when talking about summer. He didn't seem excited for their break at all, in fact, he seemed a little sad and disappointed.

But he brushed it off, because Evan hadn't been like this in so long. Now he was quiet and distant, disappearing at random moments and spending less and less time with them, it was worrying.

It was fourth period when everything finally fell into place for him. Evan wasn't there, he had disappeared again, and this time Tyler knew why.

Because he had no intentions of spending the rest of the week here. Today was his last day, that's why he was happy, because he wasn't coming back here.

But why?

Because all good things come to an end, Tyler.

-------------------

T W O     Y E A R S    L A T E R

Smoke rose into the air, its source the lit cigarette in the fifteen year old's hand, the small cylinder was balanced between his middle and pointer finger. He placed the cigarette between his lips once more, inhaling the narcotic calmly, he blew smoke into the air once more, gazing at the setting sun.

It had been two years since the boy had talked to his friends, who also happened to be his neighbors. He made his decision that day, when he walked out through the school doors without saying goodbye, never glancing behind him in fear of changing his mind. Hesitation was nearly his downfall.

That day, he had gone to the park while students at his school were in fifth period, he climbed into a large tree, which was his favorite hiding spot, and pulled out his phone. He opened his contacts with a feeling of dread.

Tyler: Deleted
Brian: Deleted
David: Deleted
Brock: Deleted

Are you sure you want to delete these contacts?

Y E S N O

Shutting his eyes and swallowing the regret, he had pressed 'Yes' and waited for the small ding to signal they were deleted.

That small ding had lifted so much weight off his shoulders, but it caused him so much pain in return. His next thought was something he had said to himself everyday he saw them.

I'm sorry.

The only two words to describe how he felt, how he made everyone else feel. The only two words he could think of in his moment of desperation. He was alone now, but he chose to be.

Because he was toxic to everyone around him.

Total Lies Told: 736

One for everyday Evan was gone.
One for everyday the guys missed him.
One for everyday Jonathan was too blind to see the truth.

And one for everyday I pushed a teenager closer to the edge.