Chapter 13

Chapter 13

We walked for three days...

Three days.

And there was still no sign of any other town we could stop in to see if we could get a car.

And it was getting pretty hot.

Damn, gotta love global warming, right?

"Can we take a break?" I heard Alyssa ask.

I looked at them.

We were all pretty tired, and the heat was getting to us. I nodded, sighing as my feet gave in. We all sat in the middle of the road, drinking semi-warm water from our water bottles.

I drank most of my water, not caring that it was warm.

I laid on the road on my back, looking up at the sky. I lifted my hand up to my forehead and noticed the way the light reflected off my bracelet. It was really beautiful. My head automatically went to Jeremy's direction.

To my surprise, he was looking down at me, smiling. I turned away, blushing.

And that was when I heard it.

A moan.

No - moans.

I sat up rapidly, looking at everyone.

"Was that...?" Alyssa trailed off.

"Yep," Dominic said, unlocking his gun with a click.

The Zombies moved faster than I remembered. Then again, it had been six months since we'd fought one.

The first one came up behind Alyssa.

Dominic shot it, leaving a perfectly bloodless hole in its forehead as it fell to the ground.

Jeremy threw a gun each to Alyssa and I. I caught mine, unlocked it, and started shooting the three Zombies that were walking my way without blinking.

As we shot, we all took steps backwards until we were back to back to each other.

"How many rounds you have left?" Dominic asked as he shot the Zombie in front of him.

"I don't know, three. Maybe two," I said.

"There's too many of them," I heard Jeremy shout, followed by three gunshots.

I ran out of bullets then. Not having enough time to reload, I starting whacking the head of the Zombie attacking me clean off its neck.

"Guys!" I called in a panic.

The Zombies were closing in on us, the smell of rotting flesh filling my nose.

That's it. We're done for!

Or at least that's what I thought until the sound of rapid gunshots filled my ears. Suddenly, some of the Zombies fell, all with about five bullets in their heads.

What the-?

We all turned to see a Hummer making its way towards us, running over anything in its way. There was an Asian guy on the roof of the car with a machine gun.

The car came to a stop and we all just stared at each other as the doors opened and two men came out with axes.

Yes, axes.

They were pretty young, I guessed, like, early twenties. And pretty buff. They swung the axes around like pros and started hacking the Zombies' heads off.

It was pretty hot.

I was completely frozen and unable to move until I heard a females voice.

"Guys!" a girl around our age screamed from the truck, waving at us to get in. "Get in!"

We all looked at each other and didn't think twice before running to the car. The two guys were right behind us as the guy on the roof shot any Zombie coming near us.

Once everyone was in, the driver hit the pedal and we sped off. I was completely out of breath and apparently I wasn't the only one. We were all silent, looking at each other. The girl, the only girl, had long black hair with blue streaks in the end and a nose piercing. One of the guys with the axes had dirty blonde hair and deep blue eyes. The other one had short, curly brown hair and could not keep his eyes off Alyssa. My eyes automatically when to Dominic, who was glaring at the guy as if wishing looks could kill.

I decide to break the silence.

"How did you-?"

I was interrupted by the blue-eyed guy.

"We heard the gunshots and came as soon as possible."

He smiled as he spoke so I smiled back.

"Well, thank you, really, I don't know what would have happened if you guys hadn't gotten there on time."

He didn't get to respond because the Hummer came to a stop.

"We're here," the driver said in a thick Texas accent.

"And here is..?" I asked since no one else was talking.

The girl smiled. "Austin, Texas."

We followed silently out of the car. We were in front of a bar. The driver pushed open the door.

"Lookie what we found," he said, smiling.

There were more people in here. Real people. Suddenly, a boy of about fourteen appeared behind me.

"I'm Wes," he said, smirking as he flipped his hair.

"And I'm Logan."

I turned to see another boy who looked just liked him.

Twins?

"And you are?" they asked at the same time.

"Way too old for you," I smirked, walking past them.

"Ouch!" the blue-eyed boy said, laughing.

"Shut up, Ricky. She wants me," Wes said, making kissing faces to me.

"No, she wants to me!"

I rolled my eyes and laughed as they kept fighting. A Spanish-looking woman came from the back of the bar.

"Oh, look at you, ven, come," she ordered in a thick Spanish accent while looking at Alyssa, who unaware she was bleeding from her arm. The walked over to her and dragged her to the counter, starting to bandage her up.

"I think now's about a good time for introductions, don't ya think?" the driver asked, clapping his hands together. No one spoke. "Alrighty, I'll start." He smiled an all cowboy smile. "I'm Tommy, born right here in Texas."

"I'm Lizzie," the girl with the dark hair said, also in a soft country accent I hadn't noticed. "He's my dad," she said, pointing to Tommy.

"I'm Ricky," the blue-eyed guy said. "Me and Jacob over there were on a road trip when we got attacked. Tommy was lucky enough to find us."

"And as he said, I'm Jacob," the curly-haired boy said, smirking in Alyssa's direction. She was blushing like crazy. "But you can call me Jake."

"And I am Maria," the Spanish woman said, smiling. "I own this dump," she laughed.

I smiled.

"Well, I'm Ella. We're from North Carolina."

"Alyssa," Alyssa said, smiling over at Jacob, who was smiling like crazy, much to Dominic's dislike.

"Dominic," was the only thing that came out of his mouth, and I was pretty sure if anything else came out, it'd be a swear.

"And I'm Jeremy, Alyssa's cousin."

And that was when I saw Lizzie smile, which suddenly had my stomach going in knots.

"Well, now that that's settled, who is hungry?"