Leslie

His attention was quickly drawn back to the boy in the bed, unsure of whether he was glad he was okay or worried by what he said.

"It's me, Jess. Bill, Bill Burke."

Jesse stared blankly at Mr. Burke, trying to remember where he knew the quite familiar face.

"Remember? I'm Leslie's father."

Jesse's eyes averted upwards as he thought for a moment. He again looked at Bill.

"I think I know someone with that name."

"Leslie?" Bill asked.

Jess nodded. Bill sighed.

Just then, Joan came stumbling clumsily into the room, earning the attention of both Bill and Jesse.

"Bill! I've been looking for you. Your wife brought you this" here she handed him the latte, "how is he?" she finished, staring worriedly at Jesse.

"He doesn't remember" Bill said, the sound of defeat in his voice.

"The accident?" Joan pondered.

"Everything."

Joan disregarded Bill's last comment and leaned over the edge of Jesse's bed, trying to smile at the boy.

"How you doing, squirt?"

"Who are you?" Jesse scrunched his eyebrows.

Joan lifted herself up and met Bill's worried eyes again. The man shoved his hands deep into his pockets like a schoolboy and looked to the floor.

"He doesn't remember. Anything."

Joan gasped and again looked at Jesse. He had a confused expression on his beat up face, staring curiously at the two troubled adults.

"Oh, baby" she sighed, staring hopelessly at the injured boy.

"Can someone answer my question?"

Both frantic, looked up at Jesse and then at each other.

"There was an accident, Jess. You, me, and my daughter, Leslie, were all in the vehicle and rushed to the hospital from the scene. It doesn't look like you remember much of who we are or even who you are for that matter."

Silence filled the room for only a moment or so. Joan spoke.

"Honey, do you remember your family?"

"Maybe. Who are they?"

"Your father, Jack, your mother, Mary, and your four sisters. Ellie, Brenda, May Belle and Joyce Ann."

Jesse sat and thought as hard as he could for a few seconds.

"Yeah, I know them."

Bill and Joan both sighed of relief, smiles spread across their worried faces.

"I just can't remember how they look."