The Falling Out

My father was talking with one of the policemen that arrived on scene only moments ago.

As I sat beside Brianna in the grass, watching the cars slowly pass by on the highway, I glanced at Jess every now and again and sighed.

What if he didn't make it?

I couldn't bear to think about it. I carefully watched my dad's lips and tried to make out what he was saying meters away from where I sat.

Before my mind could wander back to Jess's condition, multiple ambulances and a few more police cars drove onto the scene. Most men that got out of the ambulances went straight to Jess.

A man and a woman approached Brianna and myself and began asking me questions about my condition. One man was standing with my father in the distance.

"What's your name?" the man asked as the woman shined a light in my eye.

"Leslie" my voice shivered.

"Okay Leslie, what's the last thing you remember?"

"Waking up on the ground. There was an accident on the road."

"I know, sweetheart. That your father over there?" he motioned to my dad standing off in the distance, talking with another man.

I nodded.

"Was the boy beside you in the backseat your brother?"

"No, he's my best friend."

"His name?"

"Jesse Aarons."

He stood up to leave, leaving Brianna and myself with the nurse who was finishing up a few more procedures.

"You don't appear to have any major injuries. Does anything hurt?" she asked.

I shook my head.

"Well that's good. It's procedure to take you to the hospital just to double check all is well. Can you stand up for me?"

I slowly rose to my feet and my body felt lighter than usual.

The medic guided me slowly to the ambulance and asked I lay on the stretcher. I questioned why it was necessary giving I felt little pain on my body and she vaguely replied once again that it was procedure.

Moments later my father was assisted into the ambulance. He sat on the chair by my side and took my hand in his.

"It's going to be okay, Leslie. It was only an accident" he sighed.

"I know, Dad, I'm fine. But what about Jess? Is he okay?"

"I'm not sure, Les" he said as a paramedic closed the back doors of the ambulance, "they didn't let me see him. He's in another ambulance. If he's not okay now, he will be."

I sighed to the sound of the ambulance starting and driving us from the scene to Roanoke Valley Hospital.

--------------------------------------

Judy Burke and Joan Mackenzie arrived on the scene moments after our ambulance left for the hospital.

Judy being the protective mother she is, immediately threw herself in the middle of the scene and began demanding answers.

"Miss, please calm down. Who are you?" a paramedic asked, looking down at a clipboard in his hands.

"I'm Judy Burke, my husband and daughter were in the vehicle! My daughter's best friend was too. Are they alright?" she panicked, her older sister grabbing her arm at her side.