Chapter 6 If I'm Dreaming My Life

Chapter 6 If I’m Dreaming My Life

                Juliet blinked her eyes open. Had she fallen asleep? She didn’t remember it; in fact, she couldn’t recall when she had arrived at the ball either. Well, perhaps ball wasn’t quite the word; it was more of a banquet to welcome the new general to the area. He was coming in from the other side of the country, some new shot, young chap who was the son of someone important. For all she knew, he was a stuck up snob with glasses and a shroud look stuck on his face.

                Sitting for a while, things started coming back to the teenager. Her parents had reminded her about the event after she and Johnny had returned home from the park. There had barely been time for her to get a shower, get dressed and put her hair up, let alone finish her make up. Honest to goodness she had completely forgotten about the general’s arrival. It was a big deal yet she always seemed to forget the important things in the more inconvenient times.

                Sleep was still in her eyes, which took a moment to remove without wiping off her eye liner along with it. Though she had just awoken the dream she had been having was gone. All that remained was the intense feelings of fear, adrenaline and attraction still had a phantom lingering affect. None of the details were retrievable but she knew that it had been incredibly real.

                Standing now, Juliet flattened her short royal blue strapless dress out and looked about. She felt really tired and perhaps the non-alcoholic drinks were secretly a bit tipsy which would explain the odd effects she was feeling. Lightness of head after standing was nothing new; she dealt with that every day on the account of her genetic code of having poor circulation. But then there was her memory loss, if the drinks were a little dirty then how come she was already recovering. Perhaps she was overthinking it all. That would be nothing new.

                The grand hall in an old theater building was all decked out for the event. It was incredible. Long strips of silvery blue and gold fabrics draped from the ceiling and down the marble pillars, which lined the room, fastened to them with silvery ropes that had tassels on the end. All the tables had white cloths covering them and in the centers of the table were blue and white baby’s breath flowers inside a tall vase filled with water, at the top floated a small tea candle. The vase sat on a short glass box, which also held four other tea candles inside what looked like frosted shot glasses at the corners. Each place had brilliant white plates lined with gold and had real silver utensils. If she hadn’t known any better the place could have easily been mistaken for an elaborate wedding reception.

                Juliet admired the old style the whole place gave off. Along the walls every few yards where enormous French doors that opened out onto a beautiful garden. Outside was just as decorated as the inside was. Twinkle lights hung from the trees and inside the bushes that were on each side of the bricked walk way. There were a few tables outside on a marble porch before there were a few steps down to the rich green grass.

                A quick survey of the vast hall showed her the location of her parents. Both were standing near the large grand stair case at one end of the room where everyone had entered from.  They were chatting with Colonel Wagner and his wife Helena to the left of the steps edge. Laughing about something, all four subsided to greet Juliet as she arrived in the small circle by her father’s side.

                “Ah, Juliet, how nice to see you.” Colonel Wagner welcomed with a grim smile. Helena walked over and grasped hands with her, smiling wide and warm as she said in her musical voice.

                “Juliet, you look absolutely stunning.” Blushing Juliet looked down at her feet.

                “Thank you.” she managed to say. Mrs. Wagner turned to Juliet’s mother to say.