Chapter 3 'Round and 'Round

                Jareth stared into his crystal at the Wisher with a smile. It had been an awfully long time since he had had anyone interesting in the Labyrinth. He had almost forgotten how fun it was.

                “The worm gave her my gift.” His goblins laughed from where they sat, scattered about him. The puzzle was being laid just as he had planned, it wouldn’t be much longer until she gave up or time ran out. Though he did prefer it when they gave up.

                Johnny peeked over his shoulder at the ball with much curiosity. He had been playing with a few of the goblins in another part of the castle; apparently he had found his way back to the throne room. The hair on his head was matted down from sweat and he seemed a little out of breath as he asked.

                “What’d ya give her?” With a grin the King put his arm around the child and pulled him to his side speaking softly.

                “It’s a secret.”

                “I can keep secretes.” He assured him, his eyes shining with curiosity.

                “But can he be one of us?” A long pointy nosed goblin said in its shrill voice who laughed at his own joke. Other goblins started laughing at the allusion, meanwhile the child gazed around himself wondering what was so funny.

                “Silence!” Jareth demanded. Turning from glaring at the goblin he told Johnny. “You’ll see. Surprises are better.” The goblins laughed and scattered, some taking Johnny off to play and others going off to cause mischief somewhere. He walked to the window and gazed out at the sky. The sun was high in the sky, very bright, very aggravating. It reminded him of the Light Fae and their bright glow that emitted out from them. His own mother had been a Light Fae; the High Queen of the Underground. That was, though, before the incident. Jareth sighed, rubbing his eyes and softly singing to himself.

Child of the wilderness, Born into emptiness

Learn to be lonely, Learn to find your way in darkness

 Who will be there for you, Comfort and care for you

Learn to be lonely, Learn to be your one companion

Never dreamed out in the world, There are arms to hold you

You've always known your heart was on its own

So laugh in your loneliness, Child of the wilderness, Learn to be lonely

Learn how to love life that is lived alone, Learn to be lonely

Life can be lived, life can be loved alone.

                “Oh Sarah,” he said to himself looking out over his kingdom. “Sarah, Sarah, Sarah. Why did you have to deny me power over you? And not even a postcard at Christmas.”

                “Perhaps, oh King, this new Wisher, Juliet would be different?” A small grey flat faced goblin supposed. Jareth stared down at it and sneered.

                “Would you shut up for once, Tronin?” It cowered away from him as his magic leaked off in all directions. Anger always riled up his wild magic. Turning away from the window he walked to his throne and sat sideways across it, he didn’t want to deal with anyone right then. His goblins and subjects could deal with the new Wisher for an hour or so. He’d have his fun with her later. How much trouble could she possibly cause in an hour? He’d have enough time to rest his eyes.