Chapter Twenty-Seven

My eyes are squeezed shut so I can’t see anything. I can’t hear anything except for everyone breathing along with my heart pounding in my chest. No one grunts, cries or moans. That can only mean that no one got shut. Slowly, I open my eyes and peek out. First I look at Emery, who is still glaring at Vince, completely unfazed. Vince is staring up the stairs along with Keith, whose mouth is hanging open.

My eyes slowly look up the stairs where I see a pair of porcelain legs and a skirt. Slowly, the legs cautiously move down the stairs, revealing a soft pink blouse and curly blonde hair. The look on Mary’s face is one I’ve never seen before. Her eyes are dark and her lip is curled in rage. She’s not only furious, she’s here for revenge.

“Nobody moves!” She shouts, pointing another shotgun at Vince, then Keith, then back to Vince again. Her eyes land on me for a moment and she smirks. It was her gun that went off, not one of the guys. I automatically assume it’s her family gun as well. I never knew she had one, but it’s common for ranchers to put sick cows down with them.

“Where the fuck did she come from?” Vince asks, his grip on the gun starting to shake. Now they’re an even match.

“She was waiting for the right moment to come in,” Emery smirks. Mary must have been at my house when I phoned Emery. Either she was seeing Patch, who is hopefully still alive, or coping with my disappearance with my family.

“The police are already on their way,” Mary says sternly. I’ve never seen this side of her before in my life. Every hint of the perfect, innocent, preacher’s daughter is gone. She’s here for two reasons. One is to help Emery rescue me and the other is to avenge Patch, whether he is alive or not. “Emery,” Mary says, and he turns his aim to Keith. Mary takes a few steps towards Vince and I, keeping her gun pointed at him. “Take the gun off her,” Mary snaps, her finger nearing the trigger of her shotgun. When Vince doesn’t move, Mary moves her aim towards the window and pulls the trigger.

The glass shatters as the sound of the gun going off damages our hearing for a few seconds. By the time my ears stop ringing, the shotgun is pointed at Vince again.

“I said take the gun off her!” Mary yells, cocking the shotgun so it’s ready for another shot. “Now!”

The handgun is shakily removed from my head as Vince takes a step away from me. Knowing that Mary can do a lot more damage to him than he can to her, he doesn’t aim his gun.

“Put the guns on the floor now,” Emery snaps. Slowly, Keith lowers his gun and Vince follows, gently resting them on the cement floor. Once they’re down, Emery puts his gun down too. I want to yell for him not to, but I know his mind is set on fighting. The only one who still has a gun is Mary, who moves around the floor, picking up the guns as she points hers at the men. Vince moves to Keith’s side while Mary takes the bullets out of the guns. She scatters them across the room and drops the guns beside us, except for her shotgun.

“Two against one,” Vince laughs darkly, leaning slightly forward and clenching his fists. Keith grins, following in suit.

Behind me, Mary starts unravelling the ropes, slowly loosening me from the pole while I watch the guys. A smirk plays on Emery’s lips as he glares at both of the men. He looks completely unfazed by what Vince said.

“Nobody is fighting,” Mary says sternly, pointing the gun at the men. They barely turn to her and Keith has a strange look on his face.

“Oh really,” he mutters, taking a step towards Mary and I. He holds his arms out at his sides. “Shoot me then.” Vince grabs Keith’s shoulder but he shakes off his grasp. Mary stares at him, wide-eyed. “You don’t have any bullets left, do you?” He takes another step towards Mary, whose cheeks are growing pink. “I’m not familiar with shotguns, but I’d say it’s only a one shot you’re holding there.”