Chapter Twenty

“Emery?” I tip toe into my room but he doesn’t even acknowledge my presence. It’s been exactly two days since we found out why Vince hates Emery so much and the police started looking for him. However there’s no trace of him, just like there wasn’t with Emery’s dad which only makes me worry more.

Emery sits on the edge of my bed, holding the photograph of his parents in his trembling hands. His eyes are covered by his dark hair as he leans over it, staring at it intently. He hasn’t really said anything at all for the past two days, not even to my parents. So when he doesn’t respond to me, I’m not surprised.

He doesn’t look up or hide the picture away when I sit on the bed beside him, our arms touching each other. The photo I had seen so many times in secret looks different in his hands, as if now I’m seeing something in it that I didn’t before.

“Are you okay?” For a while, I don’t say anything more to him. I just try my best to give him comfort in his darkness. He’s going through so much that I don’t even know how to relate to. Both of his parents are dead, a bunch of people want him dead and he can’t remember me, a huge chunk of his life since he came to live on the farm. He must be extremely strong to stay sane throughout all of this.

“Even though my father was a horrible human being,” Emery whispers, finally speaking to me. “He still was the only father I had and the only parent I had left.” My heart sinks as I remember what Mary said about giving him some credit for the way he was acting. Once again, she’s exactly right. I don’t know what to say. I want to tell him how sorry I am however I can’t, because he wants to remember what happened to his father on his own. “I’m so sorry,” he whispers and finally meets my eyes. “Even though I can’t remember, it’s still not fair for me to drag you into this.”

I shake my head as he sets the photograph gently on the floor. I take his hand in mine and squeeze it. “You have nothing to be sorry for, Emery.” His eyes move down to my neck and stay there. My cheeks flush and I suddenly feel embarrassed. “What are you staring at?” I whisper, avoiding his eyes.

His hand reaches out and brushes mine, which I hadn’t even realized was touching my neck. He moves his palm closer to him, pulling me along with it because of what’s in it.

“The necklace,” he murmurs, looking at the horse I had been twirling between my fingers without knowing. “I gave to you on your birthday.

My eyes grow wide and my breath catches in my throat. “You remember?”

He suddenly lets it drop, gently bumping onto my chest. His blue eyes meet mine again however he looks distant, as if he’s somewhere else rather than in my bedroom. Then, as soon as he drifted off, he’s back again.

“How much do you remember, Emery?” I grab both of his hands and try to lower my voice. “Do you remember me?”

His eyes quickly leave mine and stare down at the floor. “I only remember giving you the necklace.”

I squeeze his hands. “So you remember that moment with me?” When he nods his head, I immediately let go of his hands and wrap my arms around him. Before he could remember everything except for me. Now, at least he can remember one time with me. Even if it was a horrible and embarrassing night.

“River,” Emery mumbles, pulling back so he can see me face to face. “Do you…” he trails off, looking down. He takes a deep breath and then meets my eyes again. “Do you still love me?”

This time I’m the one to avoid his eyes. “Emery,” I whisper, not wanting to tell him. He grabs my chin and raises my gaze to meet his.

“You’re not,” he whispers, his eyes searching mine for something.