Chapter Seventeen

“You’re really pretty.” My cheeks blush as my eyes focus on the road, driving Emery home from the hospital. He can’t remember anything whatsoever. Not me, not his family and not even who put drugs in his drink. “Why are you getting embarrassed?” Emery asks me curiously and I bite my lip.

“I don’t get complimented a lot,” I mumble shyly and I notice Emery’s eyes grow wide.

“So I never complimented you a lot before?” I shake my head no and he nods his head. “I don’t know why I didn’t.”

I resist the urge to bang my head on the steering wheel while I’m driving. It’s absolutely frustrating having a conversation with the person you’re in love with, when they can’t remember anything. It’s also extremely embarrassing when they compliment you, because it feels like you’re on a first date.

“Are you my girlfriend?”

“Emery,” I whine, smacking my head against the headrest. “You’re making me self-conscious.”

“I’m only trying to remember things,” he points out. “Since I can’t remember anything at all…” He quietly trails off and I know he’s just trying to make me feel bad so I can answer his question.

“I don’t think that we were ever an official couple,” I murmur, remembering all the times we shared together and wondering how he can’t possibly remember them. “But when we weren’t ripping each other’s throats out, we acted like we were.”

“So where were we on the love-hate scale before I fell?” He asks, staring in awe out at the snowy countryside.

“Somewhere in between,” I laugh quietly.

“Hey River,” he says. “When I remember everything, I think we should be official.”

My cheeks flush red again and I groan. “Emery!”

“Sorry!” He replies nervously. “I’ll stop with those kinds of comments now.”

As much as I want to tell Emery how much I love him and let us be all couple-y again, things have changed yet again. Going back to that now isn’t much of an option until Emery remembers anything. Although, I kind of like Emery when he doesn’t remember all the bad things about his life. He’s nicer and not to mention completely adorable.

“What’s your favourite memory of us?” Emery asks after a few minutes of silence. I know he has a million questions for me; however some of them are going to be ones I refuse to answer. Some of them will involve his horrible dad.

“Favourite memory?” I think for a few minutes, listening to the sound of the tires on the road. “I think it’s when we saw each other in the hospital for the first time,” I smile sadly, blinking back tears. “And we hugged for a really long time.”

Emery watches me through curious eyes as I try my best not to cry. So many emotions swirl inside of me and one of the biggest ones is the hurt that Emery can’t remember me.

“Why were we in the hospital?”

Sighing, I shake my head. “I don’t want to tell you right now.”

“But River,” he protests, reaching his arm in the space between us. His fingers overlap mine on the steering wheel as he meets my eyes. “I need to remember my life.”

I bite my lip when I get an idea. “Open the armrest.” Emery removes his fingers from mine and opens it, peering inside. “There’s an IPod in there. Do you know what an IPod is?”

Emery exhales noisily and rolls his eyes. “Obviously. I remember basic things like my name, age, pop culture and other pointless things.”

“Okay, no need to be snappy,” I mutter, keeping my eyes on the road in attempt to prevent myself from getting upset. He can remember what an IPod is, but he can’t remember that I’m completely, hopelessly in love with him? “Take it out and hand it to me.”