Chapter 43

The following morning, Katherine found herself pacing frantically in her Father's study. Her cold fingers, that had nothing to do with winter approaching trembled as she munched on her nails. " Jake's going to kill me!" Her hands flew in the air. Edward wasn't supposed to be at home that night. Why did he showed up? Everything had been planned smoothly, locked all the servants in one room. Get Dimitri and leave, Simple. That little pest spoiled everything! Her hands travelled through her blond curls. Now her father had failed to kill the gentlemen leaving her like a frightened kitten.

Jake was not a force to be reckoned with, not when it came to his precious cousin. Sometimes she felt like he loved Edward more than her. Katherine snorted at the thought, before she met him there were rumors of him being a ruthless, stone hearted Duke then he went to sea and sort of...changed? Katherine had never seen him upset, only humorous and kind hearted. If I stay any longer, I'll definitely feel his wrath! " father we have to leave immediately!" She stopped and turned towards him, his expression full of bewilderment and anxiousness as he stared at the empty glass of brandy nestled in his hands.

" I know" was his replied, his mind on last night events. The plan was a total failure, this Fisher gentleman seems to have an Angel's protection. Avoiding all those shots and escaping. Not to mention those strange men on horseback. Who were they? If they were the British soldiers, why did those desperate husbands run?  His thumb tapped on the empty glass. The Commander was clearly missing something. " We have to wait on Larry's return, he had travelled to London to acquire a ship....I just hope there aren't any more disturbing news," His blue eyes glared at Katherine who resume to pacing. " Giselle would you stop moving! You're giving me an headache!"

His startled voice caused Katherine to slightly jump. " It's Katherine! I don't go by Giselle anymore!" She hated that stupid name! Especially her grandmother whom she inherited it from. She was always demanding, cold hearted and called her stupid names. Katherine had never felt so happy in her life learning about her death.

The door burst opened, Larson and Monsieur Vandenburgh entered with an worried expression. " Sir we have to leave immediately, the Spaniards are here!" Monsieur Vandenburgh was the first to speak.

A chill ran down the commander's spine. He didn't have enough men to fight. He was outnumbered.   " If you're still blinded on revenge, we would take the princess and leave you to settled your affairs "

" Great idea" Katherine interposed, nodding her head frantically.

The Commander scowled at his daughter then turned to face Vandenburgh. " No one leaves this country without my presence and don't even think about trying anything because I'm already one step ahead of you!" He sneered, noticing the guilty glances between Larson and Vandenburgh. He knew Vandenburgh to long to know when he was up to something; secretive. He maybe blinded by revenge but had a clear sight on betray and schemes. " I trust that you had acquired a ship?" He turned to Larson.

"Indeed I have"

" Good" He rose to his feet. " We leave tonight! Katherine get prepared! " She wasted no time, scurrying out the room like it was on fire. Katherine couldn't wait to leave this country to meet her Prince. Secretly a part of her didn't want to witness the hurt on Jake's face at her betrayal.

"Tonight! That would be impossible!" Larry shook his head. "the following night would be much better during the pre Christmas festivities while everyone enjoys the celebration we would make our escape."

The Commander nodded affirmatively.

****

The sun had risen with a vengeance this morning, casting a sparkling glow on the different colors of roses and other wild flowers in the forest, the grass even looked greener. Mrs Leighton placed her wide brown straw hat on top of her head and turned to her daughter, who clinched to her doll with disappointment. " Now Hannah dear, stay inside and watched over the lady, OK"  the girl give a small nod, looking everywhere but her mother. There was nothing she hated more than being left alone. All the lady ever does is sleep, sleep, sleep. It wasn't until she asked her mother what the herbs, she was boiling one day  to  give the lady was used for, that she found out her own mother was responsible for the lady staying asleep.