Chapter 13

Later that night

Joshua sat in his study with the bottle of brandy in his hand. After he came home. He scolded his wife for dancing with Lord Bark and send her to her bed chamber. A pattern that seems to familiar. He remembered as a child his father and mother use to quarrel a lot. His father's infidelity broke up the loving family he once knew. Many times his father locked him in his room as punishment. He was turning into a monster like his father. Is it true what they say like father like son?

Joshua laugh hysterically as he place the bottle to his head. Wiping his mouth with the back of his hand he stare into the darkness. His behavior tonight astonished him. He wasn't one to behavior so vile in front of many. He was a respectable man.That wife of his have him doing all kind of weird things and have him feeling things he didn't wanted.

A knock was heard at his door before he could say a word. Two men bolted through holding a limp body. Looking closely he recognized his friends. " I can't seems to get rid of the both of you tonight. " he stuttered with a grin.

"Oh Lord he is drunk." David said with a sigh.

"It's a good thing the officers didn't find him.They would have surely thought it was him." Jake interposed as he and David lay the body on the chair.

Regin came in the study with a cloth and boiling water. He was just about to retire when a rapid knock was heard at the door. Quickly opening it he saw master Joshua's two best friend with a lifeless body. He had quickly rush to boil some water after informing them of master Joshua's whereabouts.

"Thank you Regin." David said taking the items from him.

"What is going on here?" Joshua shouted as he rise from his seat. His head hurt like hell.

"I can get a maid to assist you if you like."

"Thank you but we will manage. That would be all for know. " Jake interposed dismissing the Butler. Who was more than happy to retire.

"Who is this person! I can't believe you two brought a dead man into my house!" Joshua ran his hands through his hair as he began pacing the floor.

Jake rolled his eyes as he poured himself a glass of brandy that was laying on the table.

" That's to help lessen his pain?" David questioned. " good thinking "

"No I just needed a drink." Jake grinned.

David groan as he approach his friend. " Joshua you mean you don't recognize him?"

Joshua stare at the man Lying on his chair. He was beaten to the point of in recognition. Blood covered his face like ladies makeup.Looking at his attire he was Wearing a white waistcoat and beige colored trousers. Only one person he knew dress so primely or stupid.

" Lord Bark!" Joshua eyes widen. " what in god's creation happened to him?"

"Isn't it obvious. He got in a fight and loss." Jake said emotionlessly." Probably over a woman." He mumbled.

"Your right. You two get him off my chair blood stains you know. " Joshua reply as he turn to sit on his chair.

"I am very disappointed in the both of you" David said shaking his head. " Joshua I never thought you to be so selfish Jake of course. but you? "

"Look who's playing psychologist" Jake mumbled. Placing the glass to his lips with a quick grasp David yank the glass out of his hands and throw it on Lord Bark's face.

" That should wake him up so we can really know what happen!"

"I know what just happen. You just wasted perfectly good Brandy!"

David felt like his head would explode with these two. They were acting like robots. A guy lay dying in front of them. If he wasn't dead already. He place one finger under Bark's nose to make sure and sigh as he felt hot air." Joshua I know he did you wrong tonight and you both had issues but can't you please put it behind you and help me save his life."

"I'm sorry. I know I haven't been myself lately." Joshua sigh as he raised from his seat." Let's get him talking. " he kneeled beside the lifeless body.

" Pass me the cloth and water. " David quickly abige as he watched Joshua clean the man's wound.

" Jake pass me the brandy.You selfish loathe" Jake who was leading on the table enjoying the brandy groan as he handed the bottle of brandy to Joshua.

"It's almost finished anyway. " he struggle his shoulders.

"Why did you even bother bringing him?" Joshua asked David as he forced the brandy down Lord bark's throat.

"I needed help with the body and besides he was found outside on his estate. If the officers had gotten a whole of him.You would no doubt be in jail this moment. " David told him sternly.

Joshua eyes widen with realization. Everyone who is somebody was at his friend's ball and saw his little fight scene. No doubt they would point fingers at him.

" I don't know how to thank you two." He watched his two friend's grateful even if one was a selfish bastard he love them both. They were the brothers he never had.

Lord Bark began to make painful noises and this got everyone's attention. " Fred? Can you hear us it's Jake,Joshua and David. "

Lord Bark peeped through one eye." I'm I in hell?"

"Not yet. Tell us what happen to you?" Jake pressed on as he came closer. He was dying to know the person who was able to beat the famous Lord Bark to a pub.

" A French bastard" his voice was like a whisper." He followed me outside when I was about to take a smoke and he attack me from behind."

" By Jove! So it is indeed true what they say that smoking can kill you!" Jake shouted like a mad scientist discovering something new.

"Did you see his face? And how you know he is French? " Joshua pressured. Ignoring his friend's idea of a joke. While David pinch the bridge of his nose.

"No and he spoke French when he was hovering over me. 'Vous ne trouverez jamais la princesse maintenant'." He repeated the words as he began to cough rapidly. "He is looking for her,some how he found out she is in London. You have to find her before they do."

"I'm lost as a puppy." Jake shouted in distressed,lifting his hands in the air.

"Don't worry we would." David give him and reassuring squeezed before Lord Bark slip back into unconsciousness.

Jake was told everything that night and realized how serious it was. His country and many people lives were at stake.He decided to help his friends with this important quest. He sailed for many years since he left Eton. The sea was his home and he loved the fresh calm breeze and the swaying of the ship.He encountered many difficulties such as pirates, battleships and dangerous weather. This was huge and meant war between his country with others.

He left agreeing to help his friends and country. It has been a long night and he need to get back home to his fiancé. David did the same and Joshua was left with the trouble of placing Lord Bark in a guest room for the night until the doctor can be summoned the following day.

***

Don't forget vote and comment :)