Chapter 21 - Chicago or Bust

Blythe's POV

I woke to the sound of the shower running, and I groaned as I stretched on the uncomfortable bed. I couldn't believe I'd slept in the same fetal position the entire night, and I'd never even climbed under the covers. Shivering, I sat upright and looked around the darkened room.  A little trace of sun trickled through the curtains, and I could see Luca's cell phone resting on the table between our beds.

Glancing to the occupied bathroom, I quietly crept across the bed to reach for the phone. I dialed the farm from memory, wanting to ensure the safety of Charlie and Farrah. The line rang several times with no answer, and the worry in my stomach grew. Logically, I knew Farrah was just at school, and Charlie was probably in the fields working, but I wouldn't rest easily until I know both were safe.

I disconnected the attempted call and scrolled through Luca's call history.  Since I knew that only his partner knew of his new phone, I dialed the last number listed. I needed to get in touch with Bekah, and I was hoping he would help me, or at the very least, make sure she was okay.

"Hey baby," a sultry voice answered on the other end. "You've already got the tickets? Or did you rethink my demands for that celebratory drink you wanted?"

My heart stuttered in my chest. "Rachel?" I whispered in shock.

Melodic laughter filled the line. "No, don't ever confuse me with that bitch," the woman replied. "I'm Natalie, and you must be Luca's witness."

I winced at the description. Was that all that I was to him? It must be true, since only twenty four hours prior he had dumped his fiancée, and he already had a new girl waiting in the wings.

"Yeah, that's me," I muttered, acid burning my throat at the admission. "I thought I was calling Walker. Sorry," I admitted through gritted teeth.

"Nope, sorry," she sang. "You've got little, old me. Did you need help with something?" she questioned, as if she could actually assist me.

"N-no. It was nothing important," I refuted. I glared across the room, as if Luca would know I was sending him hateful looks.

"Okay then," the woman chuckled. "Tell Luca to give me a call once his plans are solidified."

"Right," I answered sarcastically.

"And take care of him for me, will you?" she asked sweetly. "He's important to me."

"I bet," I muttered under my breath as I disconnected the line.

For some reason, I felt insanely jealous of the woman. Natalie. Even her name sounded beautiful and feminine. I'd bet money she was gorgeous, and Luca had probably been planning to leave Rachel for her long before I ever entered the picture. I wanted to snatch out her hair and curse her to an eternity in some forsaken abyss. What did she have that Luca found so attractive?

My thoughts grew fuzzy as I watched the man of the hour saunter into the hotel room wearing nothing but a tiny, white towel around his waist. My mouth became dry at the sight of his rippling muscles. His cut abs, and his lean biceps sent X-rated thoughts through my mind. I wanted to rip away the towel to see what treasure it was hiding. My cheeks blushed insanely when I caught Luca's gaze, certain he could read the naughty thoughts swimming in my head. He smirked sexily as he passed me, retrieving his phone and returning to the bathroom.

I growled and threw my body back onto the bed. This day was going to be sheer torture. That infuriating man was now protecting me from a dangerous fate, which meant there was no way I could escape him. My desire for him was growing by the minute, but the voice of the mysterious Natalie sobered me. Luca still probably saw me as a child. Of course he had some beautiful siren already there to take care of his needs. Groaning, I sat and punched my pillow, attempting to alleviate my sudden anger and frustration.