Chapter 3 - Wrong Direction

Blythe's POV

My nerves were fraught, and my heart was still racing. I continued staring out the window, ignoring the man seated next to me. Until the bus was on the road, I would be unable to relax. I knew logically that Michael wouldn't know to track me to the bus station, but I couldn't take any chances. I pulled my hood tighter around my face, blocking my view from anyone walking down the bus aisle. My gaze continuously scanned the terminal, looking for anyone suspicious.

When Luca first spoke to me, I was momentarily frozen with panic. I thought the Fitzgeralds had found me. After staring at him for only a moment, I could see that his eyes were too kind to be hiding evil intent. He wasn't hardened like Jimmy, or now that I think about it, even Michael. Michael had been in hotels, and he was always sweet to me, but I'd seen that ruthless glint in his eye when he was discussing business over the phone. I'd always thought he had to sound tough, since he was the head of a chain of hotels, but now I wonder if he was even discussing hotel business. Could he have been working with the Fitzgeralds the entire time I'd known him?

The voice of the driver echoed through the speakers announcing our departure. I heard the whoosh of the closing bus door, and my tense muscles finally started to relax. When the bus began moving, I scanned the terminal a final time before settling into my seat. With each mile the bus travelled, distancing us from New York, peace began to fill my heart once more. I'd seen something terrible, and I was sure to have nightmares for a long time, but I was alive and I was safe. I could be thankful for that.

Exhaustion began to settle over me, and my eyelids became heavy. I studied the man seated beside me. Something about him made me feel safe, like he wouldn't allow me to come to harm as long as he was near me. I knew it sounded crazy, but my tired body could resist sleep no longer. As I drifted off to a restless sleep, I heard Luca's soft voice.

"What is troubling such a sweet young girl?"

A small smile graced my lips, I'm sure, as I silently laughed at his mistake. I wasn't sweet, and I wasn't young, but thankfully no one had realized that yet.

***

I awoke to the sound of the sexiest voice I'd ever heard.

"Blythe, wake up." A hand gently shook my shoulder. I groaned and tucked into a ball, only to hear the owner of that sexy voice chuckle. A shiver ran down my spine.

"Blythe, this our last stop before we get to Pittsburgh," Luca murmured, laughter still evident in his tone.

"The bus doesn't even go to Pittsburg," I moaned in reply, batting his hand from my shoulder.

His laughter filled the bus.

"Of course it does," he replied. "Where did you think it went?"

I felt puzzled by his comment, but I knew that my brain never worked immediately upon waking. It took me a few minutes to adjust to the world of the living.

"We haven't been on the bus long enough to reach Oklahoma, so stop joking," I growled. My eyes were still tightly sealed, and I missed what I am sure was a look of confusion on Luca's face.

"Oklahoma?"

His question hung in the air, and I grumbled as I finally sat upright and open my eyes. My gaze met the befuddled expression on Luca's face.

"Yes, Oklahoma."

His confusion didn't leave his face.

"Um, Blythe?" He spoke softly. "This bus isn't headed to Oklahoma."

"Of course it is," I answered quickly. "It's going to McAlester. Then, I'm catching a cab home to Pittsburg."

The perplexed expression left Luca's face, and I knew he must be ending his teasing. Finally. I didn't want to play these childish games. I might look twelve, but I definitely wasn't.