Chapter 7 - A Trip to Barbie's Dream House

Blythe's POV

I stood watching Luca grab his bags from underneath the bus. It was difficult not to stare at his broad back or his dark, curly hair waving in the breeze, but I forced myself to look away from him. My life was too complicated at the moment to consider even a mild flirtation, and Luca thought I was a twelve year old girl needing rescue. He turned to walk my direction, and his smile turned to a heart stopping grin when his chocolate gaze met mine. His expression grew puzzled as he looked at my empty hands.

"You don't have any luggage, Blythe?" he asked, quirking his eyebrow in question.

After a moment of panic, a lie fell easily from my lips. Hopefully it was believable, given the whopper he already believed about me.

"My uncle must have put it on the wrong bus." I frowned and my gaze shifted to my feet, but I didn't miss the skeptical look he gave me.

"Right," he muttered.

I glanced at him, and the disbelieving look disappeared, replaced with the friendly expression he had possessed during the bus ride. He held out his hand to me, and I grabbed it. I ignored the tingles I felt at the contact and followed him through the exit. There were several yellow cabs waiting at the curb, and Luca walked confidently to the first one. After placing his luggage in the trunk, Luca held the door for me to climb into the car.

I stared blankly out the window, my mind wandering to thoughts of Michael. I had been gone for only half a day, and the distance should have calmed me, but I knew he wouldn't give up his search for me. Even when I made it to Oklahoma, I would always have to be on guard. Once again, I was thankful that I hadn't disclosed information to him about where I was raised or even details about my family. I hoped that lack of information would save me.

My mind shifted to memories of my last visit to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Michael had brought me to his parents' anniversary celebration just two short months ago. At the time, I'd found his large, boisterous family charming. He had proudly introduced me to his favorite sister, and his cousins had teased him about "finally settling down." I had even imagined that one day, Michael and I might visit with our own children, who would run around playfully with their young cousins.

Now, the memories were tainted by the knowledge that Michael was a killer, and his cousins were members of the Fitzgerald clan. The people who had seemed so nice had built their fortune on the downfall of others. The Fitzgerald family was suspected of drug trafficking, money laundering, illegal gambling rings, and of course, murder. Who had I let into my life?

"We're here."

Luca's deep, velvety voice drew me from my drifting thoughts. I looked out his window, shocked at the stately home in front of me. It was massive, with large white columns surrounding the entrance. It reminded me of the White House, and I shrank at the sight of it. Luca's family obviously came from money, and after my misstep with Michael, it was hard for me to accept such extravagance came from honest work. I felt a sudden longing for the farm that I called home.

"It's okay to be nervous, Blythe, but I promise. Rachel's family will love you," he encouraged.

"You mean, this isn't your home?" I murmured.

Luca's deep chuckle warmed me from the inside, and a smile found its way to my lips. He gently grabbed my hand, interlacing our fingers, and pulled me from the taxi.

"No, kid. This is my fiancée's house. We'll be staying here."

I frowned involuntarily when I heard the word fiancée, but I schooled me features to show indifference the moment I realized the slip.