Chapter 16 ~ Story time

~Zayn's POV~

"Don't scream." A voice whispers in my ear. "They will find us if you do."

My heart is still bouncing hard inside my chest, even though I know the voice that had just spoken.

I nod, signaling that I understood him and then the hand disappears from my mouth.

I turn around quickly and stare at Liam standing there. And in an instant I realize that I'm trapped in a hut, with no way to escape, two dead bodies that are clearly murdered behind me and the murderer in front of me, blocking my only way out.

I'm screwed.

"What are you doing here?" My voice whispers hastly through the room.

"I'm trying to keep you safe." Sounds his reply and I almost burst out laughing. Yeah sure.

"Keep me safe? If my suspicions are correct, you are the bad guy in this." I immediately argue.

"I know what it looks like, but you have to believe me, Zayn." He says.

"Little bit hard, don't you think? Especially with Tweedledee and Tweedledum there." I say and point at the bodies behind me.

"Yeah, well, I can't deny that I didn't kill them." Liam says and sighs. 

My mouth falls open. Oh my. I knew it. Now he's going to kill me and no one is here to save me. "Please make it quick." I beg and close my eyes, accepting that I will die anyway. I have no weapon and no way to escape. 

"I'm not gonna kill you, Zayn. " Liam says and lays his hands on my shoulders. "Just let me explain." He begs and I open my eyes again.

I can see desperation in his eyes. And maybe, I should give him a chance.

"Okay, but can we go somewhere else. I'm not really comfortable with those two." I say, meaning the bodies.

Liam smiles and nods. 

Before I know it, I'm suddenly in a whole different house.

"Where are we?" I ask and look around. We are in a bedroom, there are pictures against the walls from an old couple.

"We're in my old bedroom." Liam says and now I know why the old man seemed so familiar. It is Liam.

"Oh." I say. Then I sit down on the bed. Liam takes place beside me. 

"I'll tell you everything now, but remember that I'm actually not allowed to tell you this. Or anyone for the matter." He starts and I nod in understanding. "You cannot tell this to anyone."

"Of course. Not that anyone would believe me." I say and Liam chuckles.

"Okay, let's start from the beginning. As you know, I was Niall's best friend before he died." 

I knew that, yes.

"Well, when I heard the news about his murder, I was basically laughing with it. I mean. Such a polite family. It couldn't be real. It had to be a joke." He shakes his head. I can see in his eyes that he must be thinking back about that time. 

"I remember going to the house to check out the joke. I crumbled apart when I saw it wasn't. Police was surrounding the house. I pushed through the mass of people and ran into the house. I will never forget the second when I laid eyes on my best friends dead body. I'll never forget about what it did to me. Sometimes I wish I never saw it at all.

The police dragged me out then. I was kicking and screaming for them to let me go. I never cried as much as that day. He was my bestie. My whole world on that moment. And I lost him. How could anyone do that to him. Maiming him so terribly.