Chapter Three

Guys, before you comment about it, yes, Cerberus is a woman, and yes, she is Hunter's father. It is further explained in a later chapter.

...

The feeling of being shaken is what roused me awake. I opened my eyes and saw three silhouettes looking down at me.

"Are you alright?" someone asked, and I pinpointed the voice to my mother. A hand grasped my elbow and I was pulled into a sit. It was done gently, but I still ended up groaning at the motion.

“What happened?” I asked, touching my pounding head tenderly.

“What do you remember?” Cerberus asked instead, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I grunted, memories coming in snippets. “My name is Cassidy Hawking. I turned eighteen today, and on the way to school I was ambushed by a girl whose family claims to be…” I trailed off, my eyes going wide. Mom, Cerberus and Tiberius were looking at me expectantly. “Werewolves,” I finished rather dumbly.

Cerberus smirked. “Good. I thought it was going to be one of those rare cases where you’re so traumatized after an event that you lose your memory.”

I ignored her and looked around frantically for Hunter. Tiberius moved out of the way, and I saw her standing there with her head bowed, sheepishly toeing her foot into the ground. And on Hunter’s head was a pair of white dog-like ears. They were currently flat against her head, but I saw them twitching earlier to all of the sounds.

“Shit.” I muttered, which was only appropriate, and the only thing I could come up with.

 Mom gave me a look. “Language,” she said, before standing and pulling me up with her.

They all stepped to the side just as Hunter stepped towards me. I didn't flinch; I couldn't even breathe, let alone move. When I could manage to, I lifted my hand. Hesitated. Hunter lower her head to my palm, making me touch the pointed ears.

"I don’t believe it!" I exclaimed, even with her ears in my grasp, twitching and soft and warm.

“Need further proof, eh?" Cerberus smirked. "Well, I didn’t want to have to do this but…” At that, she started tugging at the hem of her shirt, making me sputter and blush. It was up to her breasts, showing off her toned and scarred stomach when Mom put a hand on hers.

“I don’t think that is necessary,” she said with a roll of her eyes.

Pulling the shirt back down, Cerberus pouted. “Spoilsport.”

The events of today started to catch up with me, making me dizzy. "I... think I need to lie down."

"I will help you," Hunter offered. I didn't put up any resistance as she slung my arm over her shoulder and wrapped hers around my waist. I leaned into her heavily; she was slightly taller than me, and stronger, so she could handle it.

"Her room is the last door on the left," my mother said, looking concerned.

I gave her a reassuring smile just as Hunter turned and led me down the hall. She pushed the door open with her foot and made her way inside. Now that I thought about, I guess it was somewhat silly for an eighteen year old to have a room covered in cute animal plushies. I blushed, but Hunter didn't seem to mind. She just laid me gently onto my bed.

As soon as I touched the mattress, all I wanted to do was to get under the covers and curl up into a tight ball. But I didn't. I stayed lying on my back, blankly staring up at the ceiling. The bed dipped. Hunter was lying on the space beside me. The ceiling fan was off, and the silence was stifling.