Chapter Eleven

Before proceeding, those expecting this update will want to head back to the previous chapter and re-read the section towards the end. This inconvenience is a mistake on my part, and I apologize.

...

Again, I am running in this endless dark forest, being chased by things lurking in the shadows. They gave chase, yes, but they were deliberately falling behind. It was like they were taunting me, drawing out my terror, giving me but a slim chance of the hope that I could somehow escape them. But they knew I couldn't. They had to have known that they could have me within their jaws in mere seconds.

Even if it was futile, I kept running, their red eyes giving away their position, my hard and larbored panting giving away mine. But then suddenly the ground beneath me split apart, and then I was falling, a distinct roaring growing loud in my ears until I fell into a pool of something I couldn't quite make out.

I tried to swim to the surface, but no matter how hard I pushed, I sunk deeper. Soon, I could hold my breath no longer, and the taste that filled my mouth was bitter, metallic, and it filled my lungs until my vision slipped to black.

...

That's how I was awoken, gasping, like I was starved for air. I was frozen in fear, hands clutching at my covers as my chest heaved almost painfully. I flinched when a hand touched my forehead, wiping away the cold sweat.

"Hey. It's okay."

I looked over. Someone was sitting beside me.

"Hunter?" I had to ask, because I could only see white through my blurry vision.

"Who else?" The familiar voice inquired with a teasing laugh. I rubbed my eyes, and sure enough Hunter was there, smiling at me. Her hand fell to the center of my chest, and her playful gaze filled with concern. "Your heart is racing. Bad dream?"

I touched my head and groaned. "It was more like a nightmare."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"I would much rather kiss you," I said, and then I pulled her down so that I could.

Hunter grinned. She rested her head against mine, our noses touching, until she couldn't resist claiming my lips herself.

"I take it everything went well?" I asked when we managed to pull apart.

"Better than I expected," Hunter replied. "Although the pack didn't take the news well, they understood our choice."

"And will I ever get to see him again?" I asked, referring to the man that had raised me as his own daughter. I still wasn't sure how I actually felt about the issue, but I knew I wouldn't be able to completely shut Tiberius out because he wasn't who I thought he was.

"If that is what you want. We can visit whenever you like."

I nodded my head in understanding, deciding to leave the discussion there. I fell back onto the bed, but I was far from tired. Hunter climbed on top of me, and I reached up to thread my fingers through her hair as our lips connected in a kiss. She gently took my face into her hand, a thumb rubbing affectionately against my skin.

I groaned, pulling her closer, as the hand trailed slowly down the column of my neck. When her fingers touched the hollow of my throat, her hand paused, and her whole body stiffened.

I looked at Hunter in confusion when she pulled away abruptly. Her eyes were fixed where her hand was.

"You're not wearing your Amulia?" Hunter asked softly, a hint of panic in her voice.