chapter 6

Chapter 6

*Panting, running, running so very fast. Stumble, trip into a brambles and leaves, look around nothing. Nothing, except the beating of your own heart and the sound of you panting. But there, in the tree's, I saw it. With it's blood red eye's and grizzling teeth, ready to pounce any second. Now*

I jump the popcorn on my lap spilling everywhere.

“Are you ok?” says Eliot, pausing the movie. “ We don't have to watch this if it makes you jumpy?” I move back into his arms, trying to retrieve any popcorn I could from the white sofa. The screen of the built in telly washes black and white over us and turning the room a sinister grey. The white bone-like furniture- wooden and stiff, some how niled. And yet the warmth of our existence, not only as lovers but also has human, gave the room sanctuary.

“No, no it's fine. I just wasn't excepting it to be so... chlshe.” I bit my lip.

“Ok, but if it gets to much, I can turn it off.”

I cuddled down, happily. We'd spent the whole day together, well after the interview, I had to get some work . First, we just sat chatting, letting the time past while we were in each other company. Then, we took a walk down to the coast and sat on the beach, swapping favourite Ice-cream toppings and pizza recipes. Now, we've come home, oblivious to the outside world, content in each others arms.

Then my phone rang. There on the table, rather rudely, interrupting my happiness.

Eliot paused the movie again and I sent him an apolagetic glance.

“Roxy Laton here.”

“Roxy, where the hell are you?” Said an annoyed voice.

“Huh? Elcy?” I stuttered, confussed.

“We and the gang were meant to meet an hour ago! You know, for the curry night!”

I sat up straight. OMG, I have totally forgot, everything had seemed so perfect, fitting in with no interruptions. But it wasn't the fact there were no interruptions, more the fact, I'd forgotten!

“Oh my gosh, I am so sorry, I completely forgot!”

“Yeah, well it doesn't matter 'cuz were all sorted here,” she shouted, out raged down the phone. “You just have fun with your new boyfriend.” And with that she put the phone down.

I just sat there staring into thin air, phone still on my ear.

“you Ok, there?” Eliot said awkardly.

“I got to go.” I mumbled and felt to get my coat.

“At least let me take you home.” he said, worried. Following me and helping my get my coat.

“I need the walk.” I said, I was always shaken after a row and needed time to sort everything out. Yes, even though it was a 2 second argument!

“Oh OK then.” He said sounding upset.

“Look its ok.” I said looking up him. Looking into his hazel eyes. I kissed him on the cheek and opened the door.

I walked out and for the oddest second I thought I heard a click.

I walked down the road, the wind blowing my pony tail into my face and the leave dancing round my feet. The street lights ran over me, leaving a Roxy-shaped girl behind me, like a ghost haunting, following me. I moved swiftly though the black Night and shifting shadows passsing silint but equally sinister strangers. I'm unaware of what is happening around-behind closed doors, but I can feel the city living and breathing life though the dark. Understanding is not a weekness nor is a straight and I play by those rules and feel the emotion of the world around me. Feeding off it and living it. When I get to my door I have to close it off, leaving its mystery outside.

I text Elcy and the girls sorry for not being and how bad I feel but I know for a while I won't hear a peep out of Elcy. Yet, as soon a I put the phone it started to virbrate. I looked at the screen, it send I have a message:

I undrstnd but I had som big news 2 tell u x

What big news? I picked up the phone and dailed Elcy's number. It rang out.

“Sorry I can't come to the phone right.” I cut the line, she obviously didn't want to chit-chat. I looked around the kitchen. It was dimly light, with the cream walls a shady grey and the blinds not shut. I moved towards the window, each step illuminated by the emptiness. I shut the blinds trying to miss the plant pot. Then, I went into the living room. I didn't want to put the T.V. on, yet I didn't want to be alone.