3

THIS CHAPTER HAS BEEN RE-WRITTEN/IMPROVED 
Smut warning :)

ELLA'S POV:

The date went well.
We kept the conversations light. Well, at least, Luke did. I tried a couple times here and there to ask about his family, or his personal life in general, but was met each time with fidgeting hands and dodged questions.
He's going to be tough one to figure out, that's for sure.

He walked me most of the way home, and despite not getting a real kiss from him yet, I think it'll happen when the time is right. We both want to take things slow.

I'm picking at my spaghetti, avoiding the impending interrogation from dad all dinner.
Dad rambles on about work and I give the occasional nod or "oh yeah?" to make him think I'm interested.

It doesn't take long for him to pick up on my lack of genuine attention. So, he takes it upon himself to change the subject.

"I've been thinking about it all day, and, I don't want you seeing that boy anymore, Ella." There's a suddenly stern tone in his voice that causes my ears to prick up.

"What boy?"

"You know what boy. Luke Hemmings. The kid gives me a bad feeling. I don't trust him." He shoves a forkful of spaghetti into his mouth.

I can't help but feel a stab of offence in my chest.
For fucks sake, doesn't even know Luke!
I try to remain calm.

"Dad, he's really nice. I know the lip piercing and the skinny jeans make him look otherwise, but he's a genuine guy. He pulls out my chair, gives me his jacket and all that gentlemen stuff. But he's real, too. We're really alike and he seems to really care about me."

"And you have figured all this out in just one week?" His eyebrows raise in disapproval as I try to restrain myself from getting defensive.

"I'm done with this conversation, and dinner. I'll see you later." I stand up in frustration, place my empty plate in the sink and start walking upstairs.
Dad stands up too and follows in my direction.

"Listen to me, young lady. I didn't move here so you could waste your time with boys like him. Now, I've invited my friend from work and his son over tomorrow night for dinner. Maybe you can connect with him instead of this stupid Hemmings loser." And with that, he storms back into the kitchen and I stomp to my bedroom.

I slam my door and collapse onto my bed.
My dad and I fight a lot.
It could be the fact that I barely see him due to his demanding job, but honestly, we've never really been the same since mum left when I was in sixth grade. He changed the second we came back from the store to find every piece of her gone. Someone who was once sweet, who once hugged me tightly every single time he saw me, who always made me his first priority, threw himself into a new job and barely even bothers to tell me he loves me at all anymore.

THE NEXT MORNING, AT SCHOOL:

I shut my locker and hold my books tightly, keeping my eyes glued to the floor, avoiding any chance of seeing Mr Irwin.

"Ella?" I hear a voice shout from across the hallway.

I look up and am slightly relieved to see a beaming Luke, striding towards me, and putting his arm around my shoulders as we begin walk together.

"Missed you. How was the rest of your weekend?" He asks cheerfully.

"Shitty. My Dad fully flipped out on me because he doesn't 'approve' of my choices in boys, specifically you." I spoke, and watched his face drop entirely by the end of my sentence.