Chapter Five

This chapter is awwkkkk.

Lol :D I like ittt, lemme know whatcha thik.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

VOTE?COMMENT?FAN?

I take Melody into my house through the back door and, grabbing her by the wrist, I lead her quickly to my bedroom. Lucky for me, Jeanette is downstairs setting the table for dinner, my mom is in her room probably with Dr. Blair, and my dad is in his study. We manage to get into my room unnoticed. I let go of her slender arm and briefly, my hand tingles in slight pain. I look up at her a little confused.

            Melody looks around my room in amazement. I can’t help but feel a shameful proudness as her large eyes wander. Curiously, I watch her. She’s really pretty— looks a lot like Sadie with her creamy porcelain skin. Sadie was blond though, her hair sun kissed. After a moment, I clear my throat, breaking Melody’s trance.

            “You’ll be staying in there.” I point to a small reading room that branches off near my bathroom. “I use it mainly as a study room, but there is a couch in there that is pretty comfortable.” Melody looks graciously at me, nodding gently. She glides over to her temporary room and I get a breath of her scent.

            “Hunter, I’m very…” she hesitates, “sorry to invade like this.” It almost sounds like a question.

            “Don’t sweat it.” I smile. I spread a blanket over the couch and place a pillow near the arm rest. I jump when I hear a knock at the door. I look at Melody a little frantically and she nods at my silent command—hide.

            I walk hurriedly to the door, expecting Jeanette telling me its dinner time. When I get there and swing the door open, however, it’s not Jeanette.

            “Dad?” I ask, feeling shocked. My dad moves a shaking hand to the nape of his neck and scratches awkwardly.

            “Son, if you want dinner, it’s ready.” He says. I nod, still curious as to why he’s up here. I get my answer when he says, “I am not going to be there tonight. I have business to take care of at the hospital with Dr. Blair.”

            I squint my eyes, trying to decipher what ‘business’ he would have with Dr. Blair at this moment. Suddenly remembering Melody, I say, “Okay, I’m not hungry yet.”

            My dad nods and dismisses himself. I watch him walk down the stairs before returning to Melody.

            “You should go eat.” Melody says calmly. She’s sitting on the couch now, her head tilted curiously.

            “I’m not hungry. Trust me, it’s not you.” I make a face.

            “That was your dad.” It’s not a question. I nod anyway. “He’s not around much, is he?” she asks. I don’t move and she continues. “I understand. My father was never around.”

            I briefly think it’s strange that she’s telling me this, but then I am overcome with the strong need to forget—to stop worrying about everything. My eyes flutter shut and I feel far away from the room. For just a moment, I feel like I am close with Sadie and only Sadie. When I open my eyes again, I notice I’ve placed my hand on her shoulder. The tingles from earlier have returned.

            It’s like a pain, but a good pain. I feel raw touching Melody, and she allows me to do so.

            “How have I never met you?” I ask. When Melody tugs back gently and her full lips curve into a frown, it’s clear once again that she’s not going to share anything more with me about Sadie. I wonder if she doesn’t like talking about Sadie either. I change the subject and release her from my touch. “If you’re tired, you can lay down. I’m going to get ready for bed.” I say.

            Without looking at her, I leave and close the door to her room partway, allowing some of my light to seep in.

            I then proceed to undress. I remove my shirt and welcome the chilly air to brush against my chest and abdomen. Goose bumps arise on my smooth skin. After I unzip my jeans and pull them down, I feel as if I’m being watched.

My muscles tense with the sudden exhilaration and, even though I feel like Melody is seeing me, I continue. My mind a racing mix of emotions, I take off my jeans and socks. With only my boxers keeping me hidden, I turn slowly to face Melody’s room.

            The door creaks loudly and I inhale shakily. I feel my breathing getting tight and my heart pumping. I crave to be seen.

            I pull my boxers off in one swift movement. The cool air meets my newly exposed skin and causes me to shiver. I toss my boxers to the hamper in the corner and climb into my bed. I’m not tired and as I lay there, my thoughts clouded with excitement, I can’t help but stare at Melody’s door.

            I wonder if what I’ve done was wrong, exposing myself to Sadie’s friend, but my questions are answered when the door to her room opens.

            “Hunter, I’m not tired.” Melody almost sounds like a child when she says this. I nod even though she can’t see the subtle movement. In the dimmed light of my room, I can see her coming closer. My mouth opens to let more breaths escape.

The intensity of this whole situation comes crashing down on me and the only thing I can think is my more instinctive thoughts. As I scoot over to allow room for Melody in my bed, my brain isn’t working right. All I’m listening to is my body.

            I desire another person’s touch and the overwhelming feeling I get when she climbs onto my bed is immaculate. I want to close the space between us, to not allow any air flow. I don’t though. Although I want to feel the tingling sensation of her touch all over me, I wrap my arm around her and nothing more.

            “Goodnight, Melody.” I say, the sensation that we are very, very close coating me.

We fall asleep like this, but when I wake up in the morning, Melody is on her couch again.