Chapter 3

Jillian's POV

Summer had gone off with Guppie, a close friend, to play with her twin daughters and now it was just Alex and I.

"She's mine, isn't she?" He asked after a while.

And I nodded.

"You never told me" he said not accusingly but with hidden sadness.

"You were focused on your band, I didn't want to burden you with a child" I told him quietly.

Alex turned around and kicked the bush next to him. "It would've been anything but a burden. Dammit, I missed 5 years of my daughters life." He said raising his voice and I felt nothing but guilt.

"I'm sorry" I apologized but that even make up a bit for what I had done.

"Can I get to know her?" He asked quietly.

"Of course" I said "Just don't let her down."

Summer is my whole world and I would hate to see her hurt.

——

After the talk with Alex I went to get a piece of cake when I spotted Flo with Martin.

What was he doing here?

My first instinct was to tell Jack, Martin meant bad news.

Flo had moved here a while after Martin stood her up at the altar and it was more than rough for her since he left with no explanation, and to my knowledge I think this was the first time they've seen each other since that unfortunate night.

"Jack, look who's talking to your wife" I said interrupting his conversation with Daisy who was eating pickles. Who knew where she got those.

I swear her pregnancy cravings were the weirdest.

Once the reception was at its peak ,everyone chatting, Flo and Jack had been dancing all night. Sierra decided to show up "Fashionably late"

"Boom. Sierra's here" She shouted throwing her hands in the air.

We all burst out laughing and went to say our hello's.

We hadn't seen sierra since last thanksgiving. Almost 6 months, her being too busy with Cameron (her husband) who was on tour for the next month or so with his band Hollywood Ending.

We all continued dancing having fun until Connor brought me a tired Summer who was worn out from playing with all the kids, and so I decided it was time for me to leave.

"Flo" I said interrupting her dance "I'm leaving, Summer's tired" 

"Do you have a ride?" Jack asked and I silently cursed I hadn't thought about that.

"I'll just catch a bus" I told him, my car was still in the repair shop getting its painting re done and who knows what else it needed fixing with.

"I'll drive you" he said but I immediately shook my head denying his offer.

"No way, stay here and enjoy your party" I told him.

It's his wedding night, there's no way I'm letting him take me home.

"I'll do it" Alex offered coming out of nowhere and I nodded, it's not like I had any other choice, Jack and Flo weren't going to let me go on my own and I doubted anyone else wanted to leave early.

"Alex, Alex!" A group of teenage girls shouted as we exited the church.

"Mommy" Summer muttered and Alex groaned.

"Aw shit, I'm sorry" He said looking at me as I tried to get Summer to fall back asleep which was mission impossible with the group of girls who were shouting. I couldn't of have been more than 6 but they were as loud as 30.

"Listen guys, can you be quiet for a  minute" He shouted and as if he were god all the girls shut up.

"I'll take a picture and sign your shit but just keep it down, I've got a little girl sleeping here" He said pointing at summer.

And all the questions flew from all directions.

"Is that your girlfriend?"

" Is she your daughter?"

"Do you approve of Jack's wedding?"

"Can you get me inside to meet Jack?"

He gave me the keys to his car and I sat and waited until he finished with his fans while Summer went back to sleep.

I just hoped that I wasn't involved in any new rumor.

Flo was in magazines as Jack's mystery girl, or his new conquest. The best heading was "The peasant tamed the sex crazed monster?"

Half an hour later Alex came to the driver's side of the car and got in.

"That took longer than I expected, I'm sorry" He said sincerely but I waved him off.

"You have a responsibility, don't apologize" I told him and he just stared.

"We're not going to go anywhere if you don't start the car" I said and he nodded.

"Right"

After a quiet ride we neared my small apartment.

"Do you want to come in?" I offered hoping he would say no, but of course, he agreed.

"Yeah, sure, I'll carry Summer up to her room" he said parking the car.

He then got off and picked up summer who snuggled t him almost immediately. I almost cried at that sight. All those years both Alex and Summer missed together because of me.

I slowly went and opened the door and led Alex to Summer's room where I proceeded to put on her Pj's and let Alex tuck her in.

I turned off her light and we continued on to the living room for that pending conversation.

"Would you like a coffee?" I asked him nervously.

"Yeah, sure," he said distractedly and sat down.

I went to the kitchen and made him a coffee the way he used to take it back then, I even surprised myself, I didn't think I remembered and I made a hot chocolate for me, I didn't like coffee.

Once they were both ready I went back to the living room and gave Alex his cup.

"Thanks" he said and took a sip, I did the same.

After a minute or two of awkward silence Alex spoke.

"I want to be active in Summer's life. I don't want to miss another birthday" He said.

"The whole night I watched her, and kept thinking she's my daughter, I fucking made a human being and I had no idea. I don't hate you for keeping her from me but I wished I had known"

"I didn't tell you because you would have stayed and been unhappy, You would have felt this like a responsibility,and I didn't want to be the one that held you down, I mean look at you now you're successful"

He didn't reply to that so I continued "You can take her out, get to know her, but slowly, one step at a time. We can't overwhelm her, or let her know right away you're her father."

"Okay, it's late I better go, have a long drive to the hotel, I don't think I even made reservations" He said getting up.

"You can take the couch, or Flo's room, I don't mind" I told him and silently cursed myself, Alex's presence made me very nervous. I had been in love with him, and I'll admit the thought of trying again with him did cross my mind.

"Really? that's be great, except not Flo's room, Jack has been there and you know' He said making a disgusted face.

I laughed" Yeah okay, give me a second and I'll bring you a blanket"

I went to my closet and grabbed a pillow and two blankets just in case. I then paused and took a deep breath before going into the living room.

I handed everything to him and he thanked me and wished me good night.