Betrayal Festers

“You can’t stay,” Saphira whispered as she pulled away from Sirius’ embrace. Fear of his capture urged her to separate from him.

“I know,” Sirius’ conceded as he released Saphira. He spent a brief moment memorizing her appearance. She had aged gracefully. Only thin lines around her lips and eyes gave hints to her true age. Her hair had grown out since he had last seen her on her wedding night. He smiled when he remembered that night. It was one of the few memories that had helped him keep his sanity in Askaban.

“You are a vision,” he whispered as Saphira blushed deeply.

“These brief moments with you will carry me for eternity,” he admitted as he captured her lips one final time. Saphira held him tight against her body before releasing him again. Tears puddled in her eyes as she watched him turn to leave her. Again.

“I will always love you,” she remarked as he smiled at her over his shoulder.

“And I will always cherish you, my dearest treasure,” he replied before slipping out of the room and out of Saphira’s life. Cold loneliness bit at her in her emptiness. Without Sirius, life held no meaning. He was the spark that lit her fire. He was the moon and she was the ocean’s tides. She sighed as she collapsed to her knees and let her tears fall down her face and ravage her pale cheeks. She wanted to call out for him. She wanted him to hold her for eternity and never let go. But she knew that would never be.

“Always,” she whispered. A sudden, blood-curdling scream filled the cold air around her as she heard the distinct sound of canvas tearing. Saphira climbed to her feet and rushed to the hallway. She looked everywhere and deciding on climbing the stairs to the Gryffindor Tower. Her entire body stiffened with she saw the Fat Lady’s Portrait. She gasped and covered her mouth with her lips. There was no doubt in her mind who had done this. She felt betrayal settle in her stomach. Even after their brief encounter, he was still intent on killing Harry Potter.

“Professor Black?” Minerva McGonagall looked surprised to see her colleague outside the Gryffindor Tower so late at night, but the destroyed entrance portrait was a more pressing matter. Before long, almost the entire staff stood outside the portrait hole and Saphira felt guilty. She had lied about knowing who had done this. She had told the Gryffindor head of house she had happened upon the scene in her late night stroll.

“Lea?” Severus looked surprised to see her. Saphira turned to him, hiding her guilt.

“Severus,” she greeted as she walked to his side. His eyes swept her form, searching for injuries or the like.

“I was worried,” he commented as Saphira shook her head.

“I’m fine. Honest, however, it seems the Fat Lady was not so lucky,” Saphira replied as Severus looked up at the destroyed portrait.

“Who did this?”

“They suspect it was Black. Filch is trying to track down the Fat Lady now,” Saphira explained as Severus frowned.

“Was it Black?”

“I don’t know. I just came upon the scene,” Saphira lied easily. She knew Severus would be furious and hurt to know Saphira had spent time with Sirius and had let him escape.  Had she known he would do this she never would’ve let him leave.

“Are you alright?” Severus questioned when he noticed Saphira hug herself lightly and avoid his eyes.

“Yeah. It’s just…he was so close,” Saphira responded softly. Severus nodded.

“I know this must be hard for you, Lea,” he commented as Saphira scoffed.

“You’ve no idea, Severus,” she growled lowly.

**

“This is ridiculous,” Saphira hissed as she stood between Severus and Remus. The blonde folded her arms across her chest.  Students littered the ground of the Great Hall, each in their own sleeping bag. Saphira kept her eye on Draco’s head, even from across the massive room.

“I understand your frustration, Professor Black,” Remus commented as he ran a shaky hand through his hair. Saphira glared at him.

“Just call me Malfoy,” she grumbled.  Severus and Remus turned to stare at her. They could see the wariness as it spread across her features. Remus nodded, unsure of how to respond with words. Severus frowned deeply.

“This is for their safety,” Severus remarked as his eyes swept the students around them. Saphira scoffed.

“This wouldn’t have happened if the dementors and aurors were doing their sodding job,” Saphira growled. Remus nodded, agreeing with her. Severus sighed internally. Saphira was angry and when Saphira was angry, everyone suffered. He could understand why Lupin was agreeing with her.

“This merely means we will have to boost our defenses,” Severus replied. Saphira narrowed her eyes.

“I will kill him. He has officially signed his death warrant,” Saphira threatened as Remus and Severus looked at another before turning to Saphira in worry. Her icy orbs were darkened with hatred. Pure, unadulterated hatred. Saphira ignored the looks her male colleagues were giving her. Sirius’ betrayal settled in the pit of her stomach and insisted on festering there. She mentally punched herself for believing for a moment that he was innocent. He had used her weakness for him to his advantage.

“Sirius Black will die,” she swore as she moved to guard over her nephew and his fellow Slytherins.

**

The month following the Halloween incident left people on edge. Even the students were wary of their surroundings. Saphira frowned when she noticed many of the students refusing to go near the Forbidden Forest. Sirius Black had instilled fear into the hearts of the students. However there were a select few who weren’t frightened. Harry Potter and his friends seemed unperturbed by the threat of Sirius Black. Saphira wanted to throttle the boy. He was arrogant and ignorant all at once. He put too much trust into the safety of Hogwarts.

“Mr. Potter,” Saphira’s voice was sharp and caught the dark haired boy’s attention instantly. His red head friend, Ronald Weasley, looked up as well. Saphira caught the sneer her nephew threw at the Boy-Who-Lived.

“Stop your incessant prattling and pay attention,” she ordered as Harry Potter frowned and nodded curtly. That brief movement reminded her of his father. It was a move he had often used to acknowledge her in the hallway or classroom.

“I swear she has it out for you mate,” Ron commented once Professor Black had turned away from them.

“Well she is Malfoy’s aunt,” Hermione remarked as Harry frowned.

“She has the same last name as Sirius Black. What do you make of that?” Harry asked his friends as they shrugged.

“She must’ve married a Black,” Hermione replied. Ron threw out his tongue in disgust.

“Who would want to marry a Malfoy?” He questioned as Hermione glared at him.

“Professor Black happened to be well accomplished in her years here. I heard Professor McGonagall talking about it once. Not to mention, she once was a very pretty girl,” Hermione commented as Harry sighed. Trust Hermione to get offended on the blonde professor’s behalf. Although he had to agree with her. Professor Black must’ve been a very pretty girl in her school years. Even now, she held a beauty that he had never seen in someone her age before.

“Yeah right,” Ron scoffed. Harry sighed as he watched another heated argument flare between his friends.  Harry looked up and saw Professor Black staring at him. It was a look he had seen before. Sometimes Professor Lupin gave him the same look. It was a look of reminiscing. He knew then that the blonde professor had held something different from hatred for his parents. Not quite adoration like Professor Lupin. But not quite loathing like Professor Snape. It was more…respect.

“Harry what are you looking at?” Hermione inquired as she and Ron returned to him.

“Nothing.”