When The Lie Becomes the Truth

“Are you sure you don’t need us?” Narcissa asked as Draco stood between the four adults. Saphira smiled and shook her head.

“Cissy, we’ll be fine. Draco can tell me what he needs and Severus can help as well. You two go home and enjoy the quiet,” Saphira suggested as Severus rolled his eyes at the implied meaning. Draco looked from his parents to his aunt. He was mentally hoping his parents would concede. His aunt was a much more pliable shopping mate.

“Oh, ok!” Narcissa agreed as she tightly hugged her son and sister-in-law. Lucius shook Severus hand as he patted his son’s shoulder before they left. Saphira sighed before she grinned at her nephew.

“Now the fun begins.  We’ll grab all of the boring things first and then, I’ll buy you some stuff we can’t tell your mum and dad about,” Saphira announced as Severus rolled his eyes. He easily followed the two blondes from store to store. He had gotten so used to these types of outings, he forgot what it appeared like from outsiders. If people didn’t know any better, they would assume that he and Saphira were Draco’s parents. But people did know better. They knew he was Severus Snape and she was Saphira Black. They knew the boy was Draco Malfoy, the heir to the Malfoy fortune.

“You really need all of this for potions?” Saphira asked as she scrunched her nose at the ingredients in her nephew’s new cauldron.

“Third years are given more difficult potions,” Severus explained as Saphira rolled her eyes.

“Uh-huh. Just be careful what you teach them, Sev,” Saphira teased as Draco smiled. He did love spending time with his aunt and godfather. He noticed that when they were together, they seemed to play off of each other’s good points.

“Aunt Phira, are you related to this Black fellow?” Draco asked suddenly as he noticed the Daily Prophet. Severus frowned as Saphira smiled.

“Indeed. I was his sister-in-law. I was married to his younger brother,” Saphira answered truthfully. She didn’t try to hide her past from her nephew. She loved him too much to keep him in the dark.

“Did he die?”

“Yes. Just after you were born,” Saphira forced a smile to keep Draco from being suspicious of her answers.

“Huh,” Draco grunted as he carried his cauldron to the front register. Severus reassuringly placed his hand on Saphira’s arm.

“I’m fine, honestly,” Saphira replied to his unasked questioned. She smiled softly at the dark-haired man. He nodded as they left the shop.

“Alright, is that everything?” Saphira asked as she easily shrunk the supplies and put them into her bag. Draco looked at his list and nodded. Severus waited for the blonde as she looked around.

“Why don’t we go get some lunch and then I’ll get you a surprise gift!” Saphira suggested as she smiled at her nephew. Draco’s entire face lit up at the prospect of a gift from his aunt. Severus smirked at the two. Had things been different, Severus had no doubt in his mind Saphira would have spoiled her own child. He remembered the deep depression Saphira had spiraled into after Regulus’s death and her own miscarriage. She had blamed herself. It got to the point where she couldn’t be left alone out of fear she would take her own life.

“Are you coming, Severus?” Saphira asked as she looked toward the Potions Master over her shoulder. Severus looked confused for a moment before nodding his head and following the now happy woman.

**

“You really do spoil that boy, Lea,” Severus commented as he sat next to Saphira on the couch in her parlor.

“The same could be said for you, Sev. As I recall, I buy you anything you want as well,” Saphira replied light-heartedly. Severus shook his head, knowing it was useless to dissuade the blonde from her current habits. He knew she did these things to keep them close. However, Severus had decided a long time ago, he would never leave Saphira’s side. He wanted to protect her, just as she had protected him. Saphira wrapped her arms around his arm as she leaned her head onto his shoulder. The two stared at the fire.

“Severus,” Saphira’s voice broke the steady silence that had fallen over them.

“Can I tell you a secret?” Her voice dropped as Severus turned to look at her. She looked guilty.

“Lea, you have no secrets,” he drawled. It was true. Saphira had kept nothing from him.

“This is the only one,” She replied. Severus frowned at the admittance. Saphira refused to look at him as she tightened her grip on his arm.

“I think I love you,” She whispered. Severus felt his entire world shift as he stared at the blonde next to him. An uneasy silence fell over them. Severus didn’t know what to say to Saphira’s confession. He didn’t know how she would react to anything he could say.

“Lea,” he started before Saphira sighed.

“You don’t have to love me back. I just thought I’d let you in on my final secret,” Saphira remarked before she looked up to his stunned face and smiled. It was true. She didn’t need him to love her back. She was content with what they were right now. But the thought had been eating away at her since she had realized it several years ago. Severus stared at her.

“Lea,” Severus groaned as he bent down and pressed his forehead against hers.

“You are unbelievable,” he mumbled softly before he captured her lips with his. Saphira looked shocked before closing her eyes and deepening the kiss. The two separated as a heated blush settled across Saphira’s cheeks.

“I’m surprised, Severus. I didn’t think you had it in you,” Saphira giggled quietly.  Severus smirked as he turned back to the flickering flames.

“Since when?” He asked. Saphira sighed as she thought about it.

“I’m not sure.  You’ve just always been there and I just…I don’t know,” Saphira answered truthfully.  Severus furrowed his eyebrows.

“What about Black?”

“What about him?” Saphira rebutted sourly. She frowned as she thought of the man she had once loved. She didn’t understand why Severus would bring him up now.

“Do you still love him, Lea?” Severus questioned as Saphira pulled away from him fully. He turned to watch pain flash across her features and he almost regretted asking the question. He didn’t need to know whether she still loved Sirius, but he wanted to know. He wanted to know how deep a hold the man still had on her.

“I…” Tears puddled in her eyes as a sickening realization settled in her gut. She did still have feelings for Sirius. She didn’t want to, but she did.

“I just can’t quit,” Saphira whispered as tears streaked down her reddening cheeks. Severus frowned before he pulled the blonde against his chest in a tight hug.

“I’m sorry, Lea,” Severus mumbled against her ear as sobs shook her body and his. He hated Sirius Black. If he ever met him, he’d kill him. The man had tortured him in school. He had led to the death of his beloved Lily. Now he was tearing apart the only woman he could ever stand to love again.

“I’m sorry,”