Chapter Five

Chapter Five:

I woke up from the dream slightly freaked out.  I hadn't thought about Harry that way much and now I had just lived it in my dream.  I got out of bed and started to get dressed for the day.  I chose to shake the dream out of my mind and continue my day.  

Everyday afterwards was the same: we went to school, we went to my house, cuddled, and then texted.  Harry was with me when my father got the next letter from Alec.  We were sitting in the living room watching Doctor Who when my dad came in through the kitchen door.

"Bethany!  Alec's letter is here!" he shouted.  I jumped up from the floor and ran into the kitchen.  I saw my dad holding the letter in his hand.  I sped over and ripped it out of his hand and opened it.  

Dear Dad and Bethany,

Things are great in Florida.  Jailynn got time off her work for the first week in April.  We plan on flying out then.  Can't wait to see you two.  Haven't seen Bethany since she was eight, I probably won't recognize her.  Hard to believe that she's seventeen now.  When Jailynn and I get to England, we have some news to tell you two.  

See you soon!

-Alec

I smiled as I read the letter.  Harry came up behind me and asked what it said.  I handed him the letter and let him read it.  He smiled at me and gave me a hug.  He was happy for me that I got to see my brother again.  My dad rolled his eyes and walked to his room.  I whispered to Harry that I wanted him there to meet my brother.

"Why?" he asked.  He had this confused look on his face.

"Because this is my brother, he is one of the most important people in my life along with you and my dad.  You've met my dad already, so now I want you to meet my brother when he gets here."

"I don't think it would be a good idea if I did, Bethany."

"Why wouldn't it be?" I asked.  He looked as if he was going to say something, but held it back. 

"What if he doesn't like me?" he asked finally.  I gave him my "Really?" face and then told him that Alec would love him.  We argued about it for a few minutes, but I won.  Harry gave in saying he would meet Alec.  I hugged him and laid my head on his chest.  That's when I started to get weirded out.  My ear was on Harry's chest, I should have heard the thump of his heart.  I heard nothing, only silence.  I had my eyes shut previously, but they were wide open now.  

I looked up at Harry with bewilderment written all over my face.  He asked what was wrong and I told him I didn't hear his heartbeat.

"Well I am wearing alot of layers of clothes, Bethany," he replied calmly.  I thought about it for a moment.  He was wearing a tee shirt under his very thick black and grey sweater.  I guess it was possible for me not to hear his heartbeat under all the clothes.  I laughed it off and replied with a "Oh, right."

Harry and I went back into the living room and continued to watch David Tennent play the tenth Doctor.  I couldn't take my mind off the fact that Harry didn't have a heartbeat.  I reviewed all the things that had been happening with him: blindingly white teeth, sharp teeth, practically no body heat, and now no heartbeat.  It was starting to sound like he was a-

Stop it B.  You're overreacting and freaking yourself out.  You watch way to many horror movies.  There is always a rational explanation for everything.  Harry was right, he was wearing a lot of clothes so you couldn't have heard his heart.  He said he likes to whiten his teeth and had naturally sharp teeth.  That happens everyday.  And perhaps he just had a low body temperature or was cold?  That would explain the no body heat.